Doesn't your lower intestine start breaking down its own lining if you don't have enough fibre?

On the contrary, fibre assails the bum epithelium, scouring it, exerting gaseous stress, encouraging dysbiotic blooming.

Old people suffer a degree of malnutrition because of scarring caused by a lifetime of roughage pushing through the digestive tract like a glacier. Haemorrhoids are terminal moraines in this analogy.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i feel that when it comes to food and diets, no matter what your position is on it, there will always be a study that will support it. you think cauliflower causes cancer? a study will back it up. you think cauliflower is a "superfood"? another study to back it up.

luka

Are you making sacrifices HMG? Giving you things you love for health or is this basically how you'd choose to eat all things being equal?

version

i feel that when it comes to food and diets, no matter what your position is on it, there will always be a study that will support it. you think cauliflower causes cancer? a study will back it up. you think cauliflower is a "superfood"? another study to back it up.

Yeah, this is more or less how I view it and I'm not really willing to try anything too drastic when it comes to diets so I just try not to have too much of anything.

Have you always been a bit funny with vegetables and that? Not really enjoyed them?

Not at all, I ate them all. Would happily eat a bag of watercress, spinach and rocket with no dressing at all until 3 years ago. I still eat purple sprouting broccoli now and then because it magically turns the water blue and is full of fancy sulphur compounds.

Only sacrifice has been cereal with milk, used to have 2 or 3 bowls of Coco pops a days for decades.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Yeah, this is more or less how I view it and I'm not really willing to try anything too drastic when it comes to diets so I just try not to have too much of anything.

my idea is to eat aesthetically. try and eat all the colours of the rainbow and make plates with beautiful compositions.

version

I've heard that recommended before. You could probably eat some fucked stuff if you went by that exclusively though. A bowl of mustard, ketchup, grapes, oxtail soup, bloody steak and ice cream.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
see the food, smell the food, touch the food. if it's harmonious, and pleasing all the senses, it's good.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
276 grams of calves liver tonight with bacon, half a red onion and splash of red wine.

this would be a rothko painting. only weird people like tech-entrepreneurs or ceo's like those. in nature, it would cause a fight or flight response.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I sincerely hope the red wine HMG had with that liver was 'a nice Chianti'.

Suspect he passed on the fava beans, though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tut. It was "a big Amarone" in the book, which is a far more suitable pairing, but few had heard of Amarone in the early 90s so it got dumbed down.

Oh I fucking love Amarone! It's amazing. First encountered it last Christmas. Much more suitable for pairing with liver than Chianti, as you say.

Actually there's a subtle pharmacological joke in the film. Liver, fava beans and Chianti are all rich in tyrosine, which can cause unpleasant and even dangerous symptoms in humans but is normally metabolised by an enzyme called monoamine oxidase (MAO). However, MOA inhibitors, used as antidepressants and mood stabilizers, stop MAO from being produced, which makes you vulnerable to tyrosine, so there are certain foods and drinks you're not meant to have if you're on these drugs. I think nomadologist pointed this out here, years ago.

So Hannibal Lector consuming these things is a way of showing that he's come off his meds. (That, and the fact that he's murdered and cannibalized someone.) But the choice of Chianti is not an 'arbitrary wine most people have heard of'.

Last edited: