Oozey Anthem

luka

"I'm telling you, the only way you ever gon' be anything in this industry, is if you make yourself sound like Thug. You trash when you don't sound like Thug. Just sound like Thug."

Trippie Red

"this classic aphorism dovetails neatly with my concept of positive unoriginality, i.e. what you really want to happen with an innovation is for loads and loads of technically proficient, craft-not-art types to copy it, in the process installing it as a culture-wide template

a.k.a. how the sound of the radio changes

the second-order talents play their part, in its way as invaluable as the genius coming up with the genius idea in the first place

as you imply, a Timbaland without Timbaland-imitators would not be nearly so consequential a figure

well i suppose Cher "Believe" versus 21st Century rap is a good example of a gimmick becoming a zeitgeist

David Bowie had a nice quote on this, something like "what really matters is who did something second". justifying his modus operandus of course."

Reynolds on the Xanax

luka

I was saying this about playboi carti a few months back. Someone like thug comes up with and discards so many ideas in the course of a single song that he needs more cynical operators like carti to cement his legacy. They fill in the gaps and flesh out the ideas. They're parasitic in one sense, collaborators in another.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think that's spot on. All these ideas are like little micro genres in themselves. Maybe that's what we're seeing here with this song. One idea, spun off, reworked. I think the speed of rap lends itself to this, no virtuoso performances necessary, just a variation on a beat, chuck on a freestyle and you're good to go. Bang - onto the next idea.

luka

It's a whole ecosystem. And it's interesting that Thug seems more proud to have a whole family's worth of adopted children than he is indignant at the copycatting.

blissblogger

so what is it with the whole "slime" thing, what are they on about? meaning thug and future et al

slime to me connotes the abject - quagmires, swamps, rotting vegetation, googoomuck - and the colloidal states: things that neither one nor the other, suggestive both of revulsion and bliss

last time i can think of slime etc being part of pop culture imagery would have been grunge - and this whole slacker vibe of apathy, spinelessness, immobility, stagnation etc etc.

and smack would have been part of the vibe of that time.

luka

First I heard it was from dipset. Apparently it has a link to the bloods gang. I dunno.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I always thought it was a reference to being "slimey" as in criminal, untrustworthy, and the word/meaning play just built from there. There was a phase in a few rap videos a while back where rappers were shouting WIPE YOUR NOSE N*GGA and running a finger under the nose. Slime connatations.

luka

It's like the qliptothic version of the original song. The qliptothic is the slimy underside of the Tree of Life, where all the ungodly residue crawls around, eating and fornicating in it's own filth.

What is called the power of evil, the kelippah, is the last resort rooted in the noncreative light in God himself… In fact, the thoughtless lights, too, build structures of their own - the demonic worlds of the kelippot whose sole intent is to destroy what the thoughtful light has wrought.

It's notable that the childlike voices and the infantile playfulness of this music don't seem to connote innocence and purity at all. It's more like Chuckie.

luka

I always thought it was a reference to being "slimey" as in criminal, untrustworthy, and the word/meaning play just built from there. There was a phase in a few rap videos a while back where rappers were shouting WIPE YOUR NOSE N*GGA and running a finger under the nose. Slime connatations.

SLATT
stands for Slime Love All the Time.
What does "Slatt" mean? | DailyRapFacts

sadmanbarty

It's a whole ecosystem. And it's interesting that Thug seems more proud to have a whole family's worth of adopted children than he is indignant at the copycatting.

he paid lil baby to stop all the street stuff and focus on music instead.

sadmanbarty

It's notable that the childlike voices and the infantile playfulness of this music don't seem to connote innocence and purity at all. It's more like Chuckie.

there's my oft-repeated pet theory about the turn to winey, infantile vocal timbres being due to those registers getting the best results out of autotune.

it often gives the music this panicked feeling. people pushing there voices and a technology to its limits. it's manic and desperate sounding.

luka

Common side effects of Percocet include:
constipation,
nausea,
vomiting,
upset stomach,
sleepiness,
drowsiness,
dizziness,
lightheadedness,
More items...

mvuent

Void Dweller
The second in an irregular series.

Listen, search the contents of your heart, confess.

one detail i like is the use of the bell sample, how it's just faint and occasional. to me it hints at some kind of presence being out there, out of reach. the myth of atlantis.

can't help but think of the last 5 minutes of this:

which are possibly my favorite 5 minutes of music from the 2010s. similar thing of out of place bell sounds in a submerged, not-quite-water environment.

another part I like is the bassline, which other than sounding mysterious to begin with, appears and disappears really quickly. which ties with the quality of murkiness--not in a dirty or polluted sense, but in the sense of limited sensory perception. one second it's right in front of you and the next there's no trace of it. and that fits with the idea of solipsistic disconnection from the world.

wait its just the last two minutes, not the last five, that i was thinking of with the bell sounds

Last edited:

luka

Corpsey what is your opinion of this song Yyyyaldrin what is your opinion of this song version what is your opinion of this song other life and Carol what is your opinion of this song Arthur bricks what is your opinion of this song?

luka

Group activity and cooperation exercises builds team solidarity and camaraderie.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i don't understand the lyrics that well. but i like the song. "breathe in, rage" sounds good to me. to breath in is to take a moment for yourself. allowing yourself the time to digest your environment and to process information. our senses are overworked, we get too much stimulation, there are too much displays, too much commercials, too much cars, too much notifications, too much ringtones, too much bleeps. to take what you have inhaled and turn it into rage is something i would support. surfing is something passive though. the water decides which direction you move to. seems like all that rage is too much and can only be processed by numbing yourself and to just surf that wave.

but maybe the song is about something completely different.

luka

Just listened to that screwed version it's actually really good. Bass sounds really good on it. Lush.

blissblogger

the twinkling ripply textures over the huge thuddy muddy bass = rather 'ambient jungle'

like a track by PFM or Dave Wallace