narcissist barty's techno party

sadmanbarty

that intro sounded initially like when they start a reggae tune and then stop it to get one more carang cang of the timbale in. then it sounded like rnb from when I was little.

Then you’ve got that in flight airline promotional film ambient bit. It’s prettier than that actually. Resonates more. Not as superficial.

Woah, then the hip hop bit.

Then it goes back to that ambient techno thing later on.

Surprised me too much for me to get my teeth into it. the jump cuts between sections was good.

luka

x files theme music

the themes of late nights, the urban environment, loneliness, romanticism, alienation, isolation, sadness, modernity, all expressed by that photograph of the road tunnel. A bit too on the nose maybe but techno is not afraid of the obvious.

luka

that intro sounded initially like when they start a reggae tune and then stop it to get one more carang cang of the timbale in. then it sounded like rnb from when I was little.

Then you’ve got that in flight airline promotional film ambient bit. It’s prettier than that actually. Resonates more. Not as superficial.

Woah, then the hip hop bit.

Then it goes back to that ambient techno thing later on.

Surprised me too much for me to get my teeth into it. the jump cuts between sections was good.

Weird album this.

mvuent

Void Dweller
there is some 80s detroit techno that doesn't feel so far off from hardcore in terms spirit. where giddy, deranged, 'anything goes' type energy appears. the tracks where this happens tend to be really good.

i don't understand why this one isn't talked about more. even time i listen to it there's something i forgot about that makes me go 'wtf'. also really like how the rockers revenge vocals are started mid-sentence so it sounds like the words are in the wrong order.

all the instrument samples sound like they were pulled from a sitcom soundtrack, and fowlkes makes a complete mockery of the main vocal sample.

unfortunately some of these aren't even on youtube anymore. can't find kreem triangle of love (pumped up downtown mix) anywhere.

this one is my favorite though. no real progression or song structure, just a bunch of voices and sounds bouncing around and ricocheting off one another for 10 minutes.

sadmanbarty

if luke was a tiny bit less self-conscious he would call himself the Aztec mystic.

I suppose that would make dissensus the knights of jaguar.

It sounds like the music they’d have on the menu page of a ‘learn to speak portugees’ dvd.

luka

if luke was a tiny bit less self-conscious he would call himself the Aztec mystic.

I suppose that would make dissensus the knights of jaguar.

It sounds like the music they’d have on the menu page of a ‘learn to speak portugees’ dvd.

You can't seriously tell us you are immune to the magic of the Aztec Mystic? We don't believe you. No one has a heart that hard and cynical, not even you!

sadmanbarty

now there’s a title I can get behind.

It’s like that music they had playing behind tom cruise in that leaked scientology footage. Aspirational, wealthy people sci fi. Bill gates investing in some space project. Richard branson doing tourist space travel.

Also sounds like green onions and the macerena.

sadmanbarty

You can't seriously tell us you are immune to the magic of the Aztec Mystic? We don't believe you. No one has a heart that hard and cynical, not even you!

isolate the organ and i can hear there's an emotional delicacy (in spite of the emerson lake and palmerness of it). with the drums it's absolutely some old birds learning the samba in a bingo hall in billericay.

blissblogger

the Innovator double-CD is one of the greatest of the artist stakes out their legacy for posterity compilations...

this one of my faves on it, i like it because it gets close to something that could be played in Ibiza, really not so far from Three Drives on A Vinyl "Greece 2000" or Binary Finary

luka

the Innovator double-CD is one of the greatest of the artist stakes out their legacy for posterity compilations...

this one of my faves on it, i like it because it gets close to something that could be played in Ibiza, really not so far from Three Drives on A Vinyl "Greece 2000" or Binary Finary

That approach to their 'legacy' is obviously not very appealing and is not something the house lot do as far as I know. It is very po faced and self serious. 'The Innovator.'

luka

A lot of it comes from this discomfort with the success the music had with (white) Europeans and wanting to maintain an ownership of the music and define it as inherently African American and as a product of Detroit specifically.

sadmanbarty

this is unbelievable. It’s such a parody of itself.

That being said- as ashamed as I am to admit it- it is working on me.

I feel like I’m in akira or ghost in a shell. I’m in some dystopian manga cityscapes riding my futuristic motorbike away from law enforcement robots.

I want all purple spikey triangle hair now.

sadmanbarty

this has an eastern European folk music melody. Sounds like lots of middle age drunk belerusian men with moustaches dancing around some waste ground. Mud, car tires and some alopecia goat in the background (one of the men invariably makes a joke about the goat being his wife). Some aunt who’s about 110 clapping dementedly in the background and smiling with wall-eye and one single, blackened tooth in her mouth.

sadmanbarty

I was going to brush (tug) this one off as robo-sodomy, but luke’s particularly keen on this so I’ll have to try harder.

The beep thing sounds like the birdy song or road runner from loony toons.

I guess this might sound like this constant rising state of anxiety. A warning alarm in the background.

It a submarine. hard, cold steel interior. tar-coloured oil grease on every surface. It’s been hit. By a torpedo. It’s flooding. Alarms raging and shrieking. Panicked men scrambling. Find an escape!

luka

I was going to brush (tug) this one off as robo-sodomy, but luke’s particularly keen on this so I’ll have to try harder.

The beep thing sounds like the birdy song or road runner from loony toons.

I guess this might sound like this constant rising state of anxiety. A warning alarm in the background.

It a submarine. hard, cold steel interior. tar-coloured oil grease on every surface. It’s been hit. By a torpedo. It’s flooding. Alarms raging and shrieking. Panicked men scrambling. Find an escape!

It's great this. I used to have a resistance to this kind of robo sodomy too but I managed to get over it about four or five years ago