Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... or Liquid Swords?

• Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Liquid Swords

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

sadmanbarty

part of it's trying to reconcile a white projection of what 'blackenss' is (luke refers to it as "blues people") with the fact that black people are actually just normal human beings.

luke talking about "the shout" on the reynolds lecture thread for example could be construed as a white projection. this notion of blackness as being entangled with the desire for emancipation.

luka

This is what I was going to go on to discuss and did t get round to it. Says it on the thread. The weird relationship with black music. I don't think it's all projection as it happens. A lot of it is very much there in how black music presents itself and understands itself.

sadmanbarty

Yeah, I'm not so sure. A lot of the stuff discussed on here is the populist stuff e.g. Keef, Young Thug, Migos etc. We talk about that stuff a lot more than we do Wu-Tang or whatever.

that's luke's influence. his great enduring strength (and why his taste rarely lapses) is to submit to populist music. when i turned up here (as beagle will hapilly remind you) i was way off course. it took luke to correct my ideological framework.

sadmanbarty

This is what I was going to go on to discuss and did t get round to it. Says it on the thread. The weird relationship with black music. I don't think it's all projection as it happens. A lot of it is very much there in how black music presents itself and understands itself.

i don't think its all projection. the reason i didn't write it on the thread itself is because it was the least interesting conversational path to pursue. what you'd written was so shiny and inspiring and i didn't want to make it grey and soul destroying.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That's true, dissensus changed my whole perspective. Probably mainly Luka, and reading "Energy Flash" too.

But I think that's a trend you find in music publications and so on all over the place. It's poptimism innit.

luka

that's luke's influence. his great enduring strength (and why his taste rarely lapses) is to submit to populist music. when i turned up here (as beagle will hapilly remind you) i was way off course. it took luke to correct my ideological framework.

It's not really hard though is it? It's weirder to do the other thing. To think you know better than the living tradition or whatever you want to call it.

sadmanbarty

It's not really hard though is it? It's weirder to do the other thing. To think you know better than the living tradition or whatever you want to call it.

of course now i live by that rule i'm embarrased for straying. but as leo says there is that compulsion to stray which is what 99.9% of us do.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think nerds of any kind tend to be very insecure people and they invest their sense of identity heavily in music or films etc. So that they don't feel comfortable liking what everyone else likes. Also of course by virtue of being nerdy they're going to be more attracted to certain artforms/works that a meathead wouldn't go for.

sadmanbarty

But I think that's a trend you find in music publications and so on all over the place. It's poptimism innit.

its not poptimism. i very concisouly used the term populist rather than poptimist. a populist will cater to a niche audience. it can be a very small one, so its not popluar, but what the populist is doing is serving that. its respndonding to an audience and its fucntional.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
If it were poptimism, you'd probably all have a higher opinion of Ed Sheeran.

But I think we're more open, at least, to a positive opinion on Ed Sheeran (no seriously) than the underground hip hop true school sort of nerd, who would not only hate Ed Sheeran but also hate Jay Z and Lil Wayne.

sadmanbarty

i've had periods in my life where i've delved deeply and all that and there's very, very little music from those times i've really held on to. the great musical loves of my life are all canonical within their respective circles.

luka

One of thirds maxims is the more boring a record is the purer it is, the truer it is to its form or genre or conception. A record which is not boring automatically becomes tainted with pop and by liking it you become a poptimist.

It's quintessential third. A brilliant provocation. But not a position I'm willing to sign up to.