William Gibson

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Jason Statham's into it now too.

Untitled.png
Untitleddd.png
Very strange: This whole thing just started to remind of Death Stranding, about functional apparel making your job easier, and then I see the guy is wearing a Death Stranding shirt.

version

My dad borrowed my copy of Neuromancer, read about half of it then handed it back because he said the whole thing seemed to be taking place on a white background. It was all just names and vague descriptions so he couldn't situate the characters and get drawn into it.
I don't remember having this issue with Neuromancer, but I am with Count Zero. I can't really picture the environment.

version

I like the tower block full of plants in this one (Count Zero). Lot 49 seems to be a big influence what with "Maas Biolabs" and the way the Marly chapters are handled. She's basically Oedipa,
As she walked from the Louvre, she seemed to sense some articulated structure shifting to accommodate her course through the city. The waiter would be merely a part of the thing, one limb, a delicate probe or palp. The whole would be larger, much larger. How could she have imagined that it would be possible to live, to move, in the unnatural field of Virek's wealth without suffering distortion? Virek had taken her up, in all her misery, and rotated her through the monstrous, invisible stresses of his money, and she had been changed. Of course, she thought, of course; it moves around me constantly, watchful and invisible, the vast and subtle mechanism of Herr Virek's surveillance.

version

The Turner sections are the worst thus far. He isn't a particularly interesting character atm. The Marly and Bobby bits are good though.

luka

TL: Like Gravity’s Rainbow.

WG: Yeah. That’s one of my personal favorites. Have you ever met Pynchon?

TL: Ohhhh … I had him tracked down and I could’ve. It was a deal where there was a People magazine reporter with an expense-paid thing. We were going to rent a car and pick up Ken Kesey. Pynchon was living up near Redding, Pennsylvania. We had him tracked there. And I decided I didn’t want to do it. I’ve said this to many people, so I should say it to you. Your book had the same effect on me as Gravity’s Rainbow.

The way I read
Gravity’s Rainbow is pretty interesting. At one point, the American government was trying to get me to talk. They were putting incredible pressure on me. This FBI guy said if I didn’t talk . . . “we’ll put your name out at the federal prison with the jacket of a snitch.” So I ended up in a prison called Sandstone. As soon as I got in there, there was a change of clothes and they said, “The warden wants to see you.” So the warden said, “To protect you, we’re going to put you here under a false name.” And I said, “Are you crazy? Are you gonna put me on the main line?” And he said “Yeah.” I said, “What name are you going to give me?” He said, “Thrush.” And you know what a thrush is? A songbird. So I said, “Uh-uh. In a prison filled with dopers, everybody’s going to know that my name isn’t Thrush. I refuse to do it.” He says, “OK. We’ll have to put you in the hole.” And I said “Do what you gotta do — but I want to be out there in my own name. I can handle any situation. I can deal with it. I’ve been in the worst fucking prisons and handled it so far. So I can handle it and you know it. So fucking put me out there!” And he said, “Sorry.” He was very embarrassed because he knew. He was a prison warden. His job wasn’t to get people to talk or anything like that. He knew it was a federal government thing. The reason they were trying to get me to talk was to protect the top FBI guys that had committed black bag burglaries against the Weather Underground. So they wanted me to testify in their defense. They actually went to trial, if you remember, and got convicted. And were pardoned by Carter.

Well, they put me in the worst lock-up that I’ve ever been in, and I’d been in solitary confinement for over a year and a half. This was just a clean box with nothing but a mattress. The only contact I had with human beings was, five times a day, I could hear somebody coming down the hall to open the “swine trough” and pass me my food. And I’d say, “Hey, can I have something to read?” And they’d say, “No.” One of them was this black guy and, this one night, he came back. I could hear him walking — jingle, jingle, jingle — walking down the metal hall. He opens up the trough and says, “Here man,” and throws in a book. A new pocketbook. And it’s dark, so I waited ’til dawn and picked it up. And it was
Gravity’s Rainbow.

WG: Perfect! Of all the books you could get, that’ll last you a while.

TL: You should only read that book under those circumstances. It is not a book you could . .

WG: It stopped my life cold for three months. My university career went to pot. I just sort of laid around and read this thing.

TL: What I did — first of all, I just read it. I read it all day until dark when they turned the lights out. I woke up the next morning and read it. For three days, I did nothing but read that book. Then I went back and I started annotating it. I did the same thing to yours.

Yours is the only book I’ve done that with since. The film industry’s never been able to do anything with
Gravity’s Rainbow.

WG: It’s got 8 billion times more stuff in it than Neuromancer does. It’s an encyclopedic novel.

TL: But there’s a tremendous relationship, as you well know, between Neuromancer and Pynchon. Because Pynchon is into psychology. The shit he knows about! It’s all about psychology. But you’ve taken the next step because you’ve done that whole thing to computers.

WG: Do you think he’ll ever write another book? I know people who claim to have seen clearly, in Gravity’s Rainbow, that the guy would never write another book, that somehow it’s innate to the structure. Of course, one is extremely curious . . .

TL: There was an article in Esquire . . .

WG: You know, this guy makes Salinger look like Boy George. The levels of secrecy that surround this man. I know a man in Vancouver who claims to have washed a sinkfull of dishes at a Christmas party with Pynchon. Not the kind of guy who would make up a story. I think he may be the only person I’ve ever run into who’s actually spoken with . . .

37880_lg.jpeg

TL: I’ve met several who knew him earlier. And do you know what all the stories are? He wrote Gravity’s Rainbow down at Huntington Beach. And he would wake up — he was taking a lot of LSD — and he’d wake up the next morning and reread what he’d written and he didn’t even remember what he’d been writing about.

WG: Well, a lot of it reads like that.

TL: By the way, I have some marijuana brownies if you wanna . . .

WG: Oh God no. I suffer from Cannabis dysphoria.

TL: (laughs) That’s a Sprawl joke. So Pynchon disappeared. There’s only one picture of him, and that’s in the Cornell yearbook. He’s totally disregarded author tours, and coming on the Donahue Show — all the hype and awards.

WG: He even set up some kind of legal thing to block his high school from revealing any of his records. All of his Naval records were destroyed in a “draft” bombing . . .

TL: The hero of the book is Slothrop. And you’re reading and reading and reading the book and suddenly, towards the end, you realize that the hero had disappeared and you haven’t seen him in about a hundred pages.

WG: That is the weirdest thing in the world!

TL: And you have to trace back. I traced back to the last time. Do you know what the last thing is that happens?

WG: It just trails off.

TL: The last time you see the character, he’s up on a mountain in Germany, and there’s a little stream. And he’s kind of — his memory is dissolving. And there’s a harmonica in the stream that was the one that Malcolm X dropped in the toilet at the beginning of the book. And that’s the end. But it just keeps going and Slothrop never reappears and you don’t notice he’s gone. Is that a way to end a book or to end your life?

WG: Yeah!

version

"I know a man in Vancouver who claims to have washed a sinkfull of dishes at a Christmas party with Pynchon."

😂

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The Turner sections are the worst thus far. He isn't a particularly interesting character atm. The Marly and Bobby bits are good though.
Turner gets more interesting as you go

he's sublimated his entire self behind this persona of ultimate blank professionalism - as one of his co-workers says to him "I figure the ones like you and Sutcliffe, you aren't from any place at all. This is where you live, isn't it? On the site today, the day your boy comes out." it's like the dealer Case is in debt to at the beginning Neuromancer - I don't remember the exact quote, but something like "operators above a certain level tended to submerge their personalities". idk how far in you are, but his personal arc is basically about him emerging from that shell into full personhood. whereas Bobby's is a typical coming-of-age/audience surrogate, and Marly's is a journey of personal discovery in the guise of an undertaken job of discovery i.e. a quest.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm just watching a tv show called Next - seems to be brand new but today the first two episodes are on Portuguese telly. It seems to be about a malevolent AI that has escaped from a tech company and... well that's about as far as I've got. But it seems extremely similar to the plot of Neuromancer... there is a great scene in the book where the protagonist (Case?) walks by a row of pay phones and each one rings as he passes it. Well that seems to be the basis of this with the AI taking over various bits of machinery to kill those who have become aware of its existence. It's a bit sily but it's got Roger from Mad Men it and I'm enjoying it so far.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the AI taking over various bits of machinery to kill those who have become aware of its existence
yeah Wintermute - the AI that wants to free itself - does that in Neuromancer

it takes over some gardening or maintenance robots to kill some Turing Agency (which governs AIs) cops that are arresting Case

what's more interesting in the Sprawl books I think is the ambiguous relationship AI, as a being with agency, has with human characters

Gibson did a pretty good job - in his metaphorical, non-technical way - of expressing the idea that true AI (i.e. AGI) would have motivations totally alien to human ones, not necessarily malevolent but rather entirely outside our conception of malevolent/benevolent

there's a pretty good part where the personality construct - like a recording of a dead person's personality - of Case's mentor explains it to him

Case and the Dixie Flatline said:
'Motive,' the construct said. `Real motive problem, with an AI. Not human, see?'`
'Well, yeah, obviously.'`
'Nope. I mean, it's not human. And you can't get a handle on it. Me, I'm not human either, but I respond like one. See?'
`Wait a sec,' Case said. `Are you sentient, or not?'
`Well, it feels like I am, kid, but I'm really just a bunch of ROM. It's one of them, ah, philosophical questions, I guess...' The ugly laughter sensation rattled down Case's spine. `But I ain't likely to write you no poem, if you follow me. Your AI, it just might. But it ain't no way human.'

DannyL

Wild Horses
Gibson did a pretty good job - in his metaphorical, non-technical way - of expressing the idea that true AI (i.e. AGI) would have motivations totally alien to human ones, not necessarily malevolent but rather entirely outside our conception of malevolent/benevolent

Spot on. He also suggests this via art, these very oblique suggestive creations that the AIs make. In Count Zero, they're a direct steal from Joseph Cornell's boxes. The AI says something to Marly at one point re. the boxes - "our songs are of time and distance - the longing is in you."

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
"The footage" that crops up in one of the later trilogies is exactly analogous to the boxes. Strange art that emerges from an idiot savant human/tech interface.