mvuent

Void Dweller
are you a convert yet mvuent is this your new favourite music?

the one thing about this format, for me at least--is i start looking for what makes each one unique, so i don't as much feel the underlying flow of it all. but with genres like this that's where a huge amount of the life force comes from. barty had the great line that "jungle's like in power rangers when they all come together to make one massive power ranger" for example. so that's a long way of saying it's too early to tell how much i like The Genre of Grime itself.

sadmanbarty

good dubstep. just kidding—but it’s dark in a stylish way that’s not a million miles away from what dubstep was going for. but there’s fidgety, bouncy, weight-shifted-on-the-balls-of-your-feet quality here that’s very different from the upright march of that music, and even of some of the other stuff in this playlist. dred bass?

This is a self indulgent one for me. Way past grimes golden age. Not even to rely canonical. Clever you picked up on that.

sadmanbarty

a dance track but made out of rusty, sharp, metal.

drifts briefy into gentler territory @4:06

the kinetic clatter of 90s nuum music still present at this point, yet to be replaced by the piston and cardboard cutout aesthetic i associate more specifically with grime

You’re good at picking up on these differences. This is still somewhat transitional. Still somewhat garagey. The last gasps of garage.

sadmanbarty

Mvuent, would you say grime is something of a break within/from the hardcore continuum. Not of the same soundworld or social energy as hardcore/jungle/2step?

sadmanbarty

If you’d never heard of the hardcore continuum would you even place it in the same lineage as the previous three iterations of the nuum?

luka

Really weird playlist he made for you at first glance but actually expresses the spirit of the movement very well

It's unique in as much as it only exists on radio. The instrumentals exist on vinyl but are only half the story.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Mvuent, would you say grime is something of a break within/from the hardcore continuum. Not of the same soundworld or social energy as hardcore/jungle/2step?

i can hear how it was made by kids who had grown up around that stuff but yeah, it feels different to me. hardcore and early jungle seem like distant memories. more like american rap from the early 2000s in terms of social energy.

Last edited:

version

i can hear how it was made by kids who had grown up around that stuff but yeah, it feels different to me. hardcore and early jungle seem like distant memories. more like american rap from the early 2000s in terms of social energy.

You heard Wiley and Riko on dnb?

luka

I first heard Wiley and Riko over ugly tech step. I think it was geeneus rather than slimzee but they were all the same lot

mvuent

Void Dweller
mvuent since you are american do you feel instinctively pulled closer to things like this?

that's an interesting question. i have to admit i'm kind of an anglophile musically, i like british hardcore, jungle, "idm" etc. more than just about any other music. but yeah, this is satisfyingly placeable in a way that a lot of the stuff in barty's playlist, from an american perspective, isn't. so maybe in a sense i do.

You heard Wiley and Riko on dnb?

no but i can certainly imagine grime's connection to that sort of music more than to, for example, foul play vol iii.