Status
Not open for further replies.

droid

Furthermore, it seems that Swedish doctors were essentially euthanising elderly care home residents without even attempting to transfer them to hospital for treatment which could have saved their lives.

droid

The report is here: https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2376

Yngve Gustafsson, professor of geriatric medicine at Umea University, noted that the proportion of older people in respiratory care nationally was lower than at the same time a year ago, despite people over 70 being the worst affected by covid-19. He expressed concern about the increasing practice of doctors recommending by telephone a “palliative cocktail” for sick older people in care homes.

“Older people are routinely being given morphine and midazolam, which are respiratory-inhibiting,” he told the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper,5 “It’s active euthanasia, to say the least.”

Sweden is a fucking disaster.

chava

Preventing travel from countries who fail to control the spread of the virus seems like a good plan. Im surprised NZ let anyone from the UK in.

If your goal is 0 cases, yes. Denmark let 6 infected Pakistanis in just now. The next months will show us the well-established link between infectious disease and xenophobia in full effect.

droid

Of course the goal is no cases, because herd immunity without a vaccine is a psychopathic approach.

And what of herd immunity? An ongoing nationwide study conducted by the Public Health Agency of Sweden on 20 May found that just 7.3% of Stockholm residents had developed covid-19 antibodies by late April—and that was the largest number of positive results found in the country.

“It means that just like other European cities in hard hit countries, it will take a long time before the majority of the population has gone through the infection and are likely immune,” said Tove Fall, professor in epidemiology at Uppsala University.

On 11 May, the World Health Organization said that global studies had found antibodies in only 1-10% of the global population, with similar findings emerging from Spain and France. The agency warned against any country depending on herd immunity as a strategy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The government were and are spineless and let themselves be swayed by a hysterical and ill-informed public and press rather than building a convincing evidence-based and rational case that takes account of the global effects of the measure; SAGE never recommended anything near as emphatic as lockdown. It's not an evil plot but it will look like one in a few months, once we realise its effects and the carelessness and self-interest that lie behind it.
Re. cases, note that the press shifts their focus at will from deaths to cases to maximise the doom quotient eg. with Sweden, where cases have held steady or risen whilst deaths have continued to fall (themselves describing a curve that is mathematically similar to the UK's). If we experience spikes from the demonstrations, raves or beach parties, they will be of cases - not deaths - with the vast majority of them being asymptomatic or mild (as the people attending are young).
The bit in bold was my specific point. The government did not plan to lock down the public to gain a more biddable and subservient population... they kinda wildly careered into it.
I'm watching BBC Worldwide right now and they according to their research every country has greatly underestimated the number of Covid deaths. Think there will be an indepth report on that later, I just saw the headline.

mixed_biscuits

Surely the 'excess' deaths represent the maximum reasonable number of Covid deaths (assuming that no-one else really requires treatment for cancer etc and no collateral deaths have occurred)? Also it must be borne in mind that the deaths-with recorded on certificates according to WHO instructions for pandemics could be the vast majority.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if it's excess deaths they were talking about. It was just a headline for something coming up later and they said that every country they had investigated had under-estimated the deaths... maybe it will be excess deaths, I dunno.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Noone talking about the seeming resurgence in China? Or the fact that many things in Florida have shut down again after opening cos of the resurgence in cases? Also Hydowhateverthefuckitscalled has been cancelled as an emergency medicine in US after they decided that the definite risks outweigh the nebulous benefits.
A lot of that from yesterday I know but thought I'd see some discussion.

IdleRich

IdleRich
From the Guardian

New coronavirus infections hit record highs in six US states on Tuesday, marking a rising tide of cases for a second consecutive week as most states moved forward with reopening their economies, Reuters reports.
Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon and Texas all reported record increases in new cases on Tuesday after recording all-time highs last week. Nevada also reported its highest single-day tally of new cases on Tuesday, up from a previous high on May 23. Hospitalizations are also rising or at record highs.

Hitting red states now inevitably enough.

Leo

the states where no one stays home or wears a mask because they think it means you're an elitist gay antifa democrat.

luka

If mixed biscuits and chava are right and this is not containable and ultimately we'll have to get on with things I think it's good we've had a crack at stopping it. If they'd been in charge and just said, plough on, it's survival of the fittest from here, there would have been a lot of unrest. This way we can say, tried that, didn't work, now we need you in the fields, or you'll all starve anyway.

luka

If it was me in charge food security would be one of my top concerns, I'd make washyourhands emergency minister for allotments. We'd all get one. And there would be a strict marrow quota.

luka

Imagine if another virus goes viral. So we've got two on the loose at once. Could easily happen. Targeting different segments of the population.

luka

The longer we go on without a miracle cure the stronger the mixed biscuit chava argument becomes. I would send everyone under the age of 40 to go out to work at this stage. 40 becomes the age you get a state pension and you are a protected citizen. Everyone else get out in the fields.

Status
Not open for further replies.