Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm still waiting for one of the galaxy-brain crowd to explain how a cloth mask can seriously impede the passage of oxygen molecules while also being totally ineffective at blocking virus-laden saliva droplets 10,000 times larger.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It does talk about oxygen and carbon dioxide levels tho
Right, but you are, as usual, totally evading the point.

O2 molecules are of the order of 100 pm. Respiratory droplets start at 1 um (four orders of magnitude larger) and go up to about 1 mm.

So the claim that masks are effective at blocking oxygen or carbon dioxide contains an implicit admission that they must be (extremely) effective at blocking virus transmission. Contrarily, if masks are ineffective at blocking droplets and viruses, there is no way they can seriously impede the passage of small molecules such as O2 or CO2. Each claim invalidates the other, yet you've made both claims, repeatedly.

mixed_biscuits

If you leave your window slightly ajar your room will build up more CO2 than if you have it wide open.

woops

is not like other people
I once went on an ocean voyage with sails made of wool and let me tell you, it took a lot longer than I had anticipated.
gives you plenty of time to enjoy those candy-floss clouds though, as you sail over seas of lemonade.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Are you people seriously entertaining the idea that the same amount of gaseous oxygen, water vapour and carbon dioxide pass in and out, regardless of whether there's a mask in the way?

Is this why sailing ships didn't work?
The point isn't whether or not they have any measurable effect on airflow, but whether they have enough of an effect to harm your health. Medical-grade masks, which I'm sure are much more airtight than the cheap cloth masks you can buy in a supermarket, are worn by surgeons for hours on end. That's not a job you'd want to do if you were delirious from hypoxia.

john eden

male pale and stale
Is it possible that people have done a risk assessment of surgical masks and decided that they are the best option to reduce some risks and eliminate others. Or is it simply the power of Big Mask Manufacturing that forces the naive surgeons to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.