Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

Taiwan manufactures something like 84% of the world's semiconductors, another reason why it's a China-US flashpoint. war in/over Taiwan means (in addition to tragic lost of life) semiconductor mfg grinds to a halt, which means the world seizes up because everything is run by electronics.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What's the timeline? Maybe they tried to hush it up at first, realised they couldn't then changed tack. They may also have tried to exaggerate the severity of the virus whilst presenting themselves as successfully handling it,

"Look how terrible this virus is and look how strong we are in dealing with it. You should follow our lead."

If that was their strategy then it would follow that they'd spread fear of the virus itself through social media, video clips and whatnot whilst keeping a tight grip on any actual information about it and any embarrassing or negative aspects of their response.
Really though, I think this idea fails the test of Occam's razor. Our government has done a bang-up job of fucking the economy, fucking people's lives over, and allowing vast numbers of people to die or get badly sick. Why drag China into it? It sounds like something someone would say if they wanted to make excuses for our own government's failings, ironically enough.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And come on, the idea that it would require Chinese state-sponsored social media to "spread fear of the virus", above and beyond the bare fact of hospital morgues being filled to capacity and the army being drafted in to take the bodies away.

China's official death toll is under 5,000. In a country of 1.4 billion. Do me a fucking favour.

version

Really though, I think this idea fails the test of Occam's razor. Our government has done a bang-up job of fucking the economy, fucking people's lives over, and allowing vast numbers of people to die or get badly sick. Why drag China into it? It sounds like something someone would say if they wanted to make excuses for our own government's failings, ironically enough.
Occam's Razor isn't some immutable law of nature. You only have to look at the existence of MKUltra to see that.

As for China, they're allegedly the source of the virus and they're refusing to comply with a comprehensive investigation. It's a valid line of inquiry and pursuing it doesn't let any other government off the hook. It's just one of many areas of interest. You've said yourself that you don't buy their figures,
China's official death toll is under 5,000. In a country of 1.4 billion. Do me a fucking favour.

version

To be clear, I don't have a settled view on this. The stuff we're discussing atm may or may not be the case, but I think it's worth discussing. If only for the sake of curiosity and peace of mind.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
China's message is supposed to have been "Shut down your economies to save yourselves from suffering a devastating plague that could wipe out 0.0003% of your population, like it has here!"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
As for China, they're allegedly the source of the virus and they're refusing to comply with a comprehensive investigation.
Of course they are. We know they kept quiet about the outbreak when they could have given a heads up and let the rest of the world make preparations. And any investigation is bound to throw light on either their unsanitary and inhumane wet markets, or obviously inadequate safety procedures at a virology lab. Whatever the source, they come out of it looking like cunts. Naturally they're going to be obstructive and hope everyone else eventually gives up and moves on to the next thing.

You've said yourself that you don't buy their figures,
Yeah, it's obviously too small by many orders of magnitude, which is hard to square with the "China wanted to panic the world" hypothesis. I mean it's doing literally the exact opposite.

version

China's message is supposed to have been "Shut down your economies to save yourselves from suffering a devastating plague that could wipe out 0.0003% of your population, like it has here!"
Well, no. You're omitting China themselves locking down. The message would be more like,

"Shut down your economies to save yourselves from suffering a devastating plague that we managed to limit to wiping out 0.0003% of our population by locking down."

IdleRich

IdleRich

Maybe one for conspiracy thread instead but whatever
So this Ben Embarek was on the investigation thing and basically he is saying that when they were in China they were intimidated into putting out a report that was misleading, or which at the very least, did not contain all of the information that they wanted it to. Let's be honest, it does not seem at all beyond the realms of possibility that China might have leaned on the team, applied some slightly threatening tactics and done so with some success.
And then this fella Ben went home to Denmark and chilled for a bit,possibly he watched Mads Mikkelsen in Justice Riders, a fairly decent black comedy, though perhaps not as good as the reviews made it sound (it came out ages ago in Denmark, but only recently in the UK for some reason, I expect there were no lorry drivers to carry it over cos of brexit) - he probably drank some Carlsberg, more recently he no doubt enjoyed his country's run in the Euros - after all they made it right up to the semi-final where admittedly they were outclassed and deservedly beaten by a nailed on penalty, I forget which country they were playing.. anyway, he enjoyed that and lots more, since his return from China it's been a nice couple of years, marred somewhat by the lockdowns and bars shutting early and all that making things a bit boring and life a bit harder.... and then one day he slaps himself across the forehead and shouts out "Oh, damn! When I got home from China I meant to tell the rest of the world that the report on the virus and its origins and so on was a load of bollocks. Oh shit. Everyone has spent two years making a right pigs ear of things cos I never told 'em that the original report was wrong - fucking hell, I knew there was something... forget me own head if it wasn't screwed on".
It doesn't really reflect well on this guy right? Could he have not mentioned it earlier?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I mean it’s barley even a conspiracy theory to suggest this came from chinese lab. Of course it fucking did. There’s a bat virus lab in the city where the bat virus started. There’s your origin.
Sounds like a reasonable supposition, but I remember when this all started, a popular theory among the tinfoil hat community was that the Chinese authorities had deliberately released the virus. How killing a load of ordinary Han citizens, causing themselves widespread economic harm, and damaging China's already shaky reputation around the world is supposed to have benefited the CCP was left as an exercise to the reader.

Status
Not open for further replies.