Status
Not open for further replies.

comelately

Wild Horses
Slovakia has basically closed now. I have some friends who were in Bratislava yesterday and then got the bus to Prague, they were planning to go back to Bratislava on Sunday - ain't happening.

We're at the point now where if I left Hungary, my return at will would not be completely assured fair to say.

version

La Liga's suspended now and apparently the Champions League will be too. Also three Leicester players currently have symptoms.

entertainment

apparently these wildlife wet markets where these vira originate (this one + sars) are sanctioned by the chinese government because of a powerful lobby acting on behalf of a portion of rich people in china who eat animals like bats, bears, pengalins and snakes because they believe in proported pseudo-scientific benefits

constant escape

winter withered, warm
^

from NPR

But researchers of zoonotic diseases — diseases that jump from animals to humans – pinpoint the wet markets in mainland China as particularly problematic for several reasons. First, these markets often have many different kinds of animals – some wild, some domesticated but not necessarily native to that part of Asia. The stress of captivity in these chaotic markets weakens the animals' immune systems and creates an environment where viruses from different species can mingle, swap bits of their genetic code and spread from one species to another, according to biologist Kevin Olival, vice president for research at the EcoHealth Alliance. When that happens, occasionally a new strain of an animal virus gets a foothold in humans and an outbreak like this current coronavirus erupts.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Even the phrase "Wuhan seafood market" is (excuse the pun) a bit fishy, isn't it?

Wuhan is ~500 miles from the sea.

freakyrixx

Can anyone attest to the validity of this? Not sure how new it is, but my mother just emailed it to me. I'm packing up and getting out of town tomorrow, and hoping that my college makes the shift to online classes soon.

holding your breath for 10+ seconds is absolutely not a valid way of self-diagnosing infection
drinking water doesn't kill the virus — but is a good idea regardless

the 26/27°C-kills-the-virus thing doesn't make sense either considering that average body temperature is 10 degrees above that

the sneezed-virus-can-travel-10ft-before-hitting-the ground thing also sounds a bit dodgy

re. symptoms i've no idea

droid

Loads of vulnerable people in my work were sent home last week. The whole country went into partial lockdown today with 70 cases nationally.

About fucking time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Suddenly Portugal has swung into action... all of the bars are announcing that they are shutting, one after another.

IdleRich

IdleRich
My friend told me that if he is forced to close for three weeks then he will be out of business.
I suppose that you all saw that yesterday the US voted on whether companies should be forced to pay sick leave, the motion was crushed by the Republicans in the senate who argued that if the government wanted sick leave to happen then it should pay for it itself. Blows my fucking mind that a country that claims to be civilised has no free health service AND no sick leave. So if you're ill and you take time off to go to hospital you gotta pay for it twice. Fucking hell. And they won't even drop that during a health crisis. The leadership there seems to have crossed a line from unreasonable to psychotic.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
It's a rock and a hard place for everyone innit. I mean, what is the solution there? People need money, and so does the company they work for. But so does the bank, loans and debts should be paid, but no money is moving. Where should it come from? Obviously not going to happen, but could the banks just be put on pause for a month? Seems to be the only way to avoid economic meltdown. What's going to happen when thousands are out of work otherwise?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
How well known is it that asymptomatic people with the virus are infectious? Seems a gamechanger to me, rendering the uk's 'isolate if you feel ill' policy almost useless.

Chief medical officer says half a million people might die in the UK, and there is no lockdown. This is lunacy. Not sure how to respond tbh,feel like we are now living in a dystopian TV serial.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's a rock and a hard place for everyone innit. I mean, what is the solution there? People need money, and so does the company they work for. But so does the bank, loans and debts should be paid, but no money is moving. Where should it come from? Obviously not going to happen, but could the banks just be put on pause for a month? Seems to be the only way to avoid economic meltdown. What's going to happen when thousands are out of work otherwise?

Lots of mortgage lenders will suspend mortgages for a while. But people are owned by banks and landlords, and this merely highlights the fact.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought that in Italy everyone was being given relief from mortgage payments.
Something has to give of course, but in the UK and most of Europe (I assume) as well as the individual (losing work) the burden should fall at least partly on companies (sick leave) and the state (health services and so on) - it seems crazy that in the US it's entirely down to people, especially when so many people are in such precarious positions. Basically it incentivises people to go to work even when ill and spread the disease. Add in Trump's incompetence and dishonesty, along with the fact that the US has fired most of its relevant experts and even disbanded the bodies to deal with it and it looks bad.

droid

If it goes nuclear, the EU will be forced to implement social safety nets, mortgage, bill pauses, welfare increases, large scale state intervention in various sectors and a suspension of fiscal and debt restrictions.

As for the US/UK.. well we know the score there.

droid

How well known is it that asymptomatic people with the virus are infectious? Seems a gamechanger to me, rendering the uk's 'isolate if you feel ill' policy almost useless.

I thought this was fairly well known? Also, the first 5 days are most likely to be asymptomatic for most and also the time when youre most contagious.

Status
Not open for further replies.