sadmanbarty

Right off the bat they're introducing elements from a soundworld foreign to UK drill; the auto-tuned, reverb-drenched liquid metal warbling.

That reverb lends it depth. One thing that ad lib rap does is situate voices geographically. Some voices are right up close, some are miles away behind a hill, some are down a well... It's all indicative of a bigger sound than UK drill. A chorus of voices. Maybe all contained within one mind. A fractal mind containing more than one persona within it. A mind that's used to having others thoughts constantly broadcast to it by incessant social media use.

The fragmented raps. They work with the apathy of drill. They're throw away gestures. Feeble, incapable of sustaining anything close to proper bars. Vaporous, any structural apparatus completely evaporating. its also cognitively distorting. a mind that keeps going back on itself. where rap used to value flow, now its the aesthetics of interruption and blockage that are prevalent.

I don't thing you here many strings like that in UK drill. again, music's gone all hollywood. its an epic. some samurai epic.

luka

Pretty average one to kick the album off. Standard. Strings are quite good. Otherwise you barely notice it. Generic pop smoke. Let's go on to the next one!

sadmanbarty

as there's more dead space in rap and as voices have turned to sludge or become all synthetic sounding, rap has more and more like soundscapes rather than songs with foregrounded vocals. voice like brass sections in funk or big bands; just stabs that are integrated into a broader instrumental rather than the solo instruments.

everything disolving into the miasma.

sadmanbarty

Haram music. Opium den music. Music of a fictional orient in the western mind.

fragmented rapping working very much in that context. michael sheens cluttered, fleeting, scattered thoughts in a saigon hotel room.

quavo's verse is horrible. his voice is too light hearted for this. also cutting through too much. rhythmically not interesting.

yeah this ones properly a soundscape. a swamp of decadence.

DannyL

Wild Horses
The strings were the standout. Reminds me of Kool G Rap, setting up a Scorsese sequence crime epic mood. Drama. I disagree with Luke in that I think there's a ton of uptempo energy, a good opener

luka

With this sort of music you never feel obliged to listen to the whole song. 10 seconds. An injection of adrenaline. Move on.

luka

The MC adds nothing but a bit of rhythmic and textural interest. So there's no reason to listen to the whole thing. It's just a bit of excitable growling. I love it though.

sadmanbarty

there's lots of verbs in this fragmented rap. remember in the uzi anthem we did he's saying "breath in, breath out". this one's "swerve". they're like commandments. like psychadelic versions of "put your hands in the air and wave em like you just don't care"

luka

All the lyrics and hooks are total no effort ones. I like that. No attempt to make a proper song. Just an excitement vehicle.

luka

I like 50 cent but it was a bit pandering to the pop market all those proper songs with sing song hooks. A bit effeminate

DannyL

Wild Horses
With me, it's kinda the opposite. "I like this taste". I'm a convert. Love the sound, sinuous bass and gravel voice, I could listen to him all day.