linebaugh

I can't tell whether he started it the once or has tried reading it over and over.
Oh shit I thouht you were talking about Bob Dylan. Acquabob is fascinated by The Tunnel because its probably the most writerly book Ive ever read. And Im sure theres alot to be excavated from it, but its pretty easy to read like a standard story if you wanted to

version

1146746.jpg

version

Oh shit I thouht you were talking about Bob Dylan. Acquabob is fascinated by The Tunnel because its probably the most writerly book Ive ever read. And Im sure theres alot to be excavated from it, but its pretty easy to read like a standard story if you wanted to
@suspendedreason posted something to do with Gass recently.

version

It was a piece called The Death of the Author!

Reactions: sus

version

The death of the author signifies a decline in authority, in theological power, as if Zeus were stripped of his thunderbolts and swans, perhaps residing on Olympus still, but now living in a camper and cooking with propane. He is, but he is no longer a god.

😂

linebaugh

In Bobs defense, The Tunnel is overwhelming. Very claustrophobic. The writing is incredibly rich, to its own detriment. He's the inverse Dellilo: rather than trying to make every other line some grave slogan fitting of a furrow browed, strong silent type, Gass tries to make every other sentence the long winded, profound and poetic closer that caps off some deeply serious rant.

version

Relevant.

What the mentally disturbed Dylanologists have never understood over the course of Zimmy’s six-decade spanning career is that to scour the man’s lyrics for hidden truths is a fool’s errand. It’s a simple trick to understand Bob Dylan, really: all you have to do is approach his lyrics at their apparent meaning. So when Dylan crows:

“Well, the sword swallower, he comes up to you
And then he kneels
He crosses himself
And then he clicks his high heels
And without further notice
He asks you how it feels
And he says, "Here is your throat back
Thanks for the loan"

there’s no need to dig further than the emotive qualities of the image itself. Dylan has always been something of a lyrical impressionist: his songs are tone poems which seek to promote feelings of unrest or longing or confusion or disenfranchisement or indignation depicted within the given snippet of narrative that Dylan loves to ornament his songs with. To deconstruct more rigorously is to miss the point—like trying to appreciate a painting with a microscope.

version

I think there's an old Neil Innes sketch where he's taking the piss out of Dylan busking and a policeman comes along and calls him "Mr. Tangerine Man".