version

"sky, the pure margin" and "but the names, do you not see, are just the tricks we trust," instantly jumped out at me.

luka

i have more trouble with these early ones than the later ones. they frustrate me because they present themselves as plain speech from a particualr person expounding a point of view, but the closer you look the less it makes sense.

luka

what are the qualities? the word comes up a fair bit in the early stuff and in note on metal, and in different contexts, and it's always ambiguous.
as they continue doing what? what's he on about?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Do you think it has to do with hyperreality, when the representations of reality become reality, no longer mediating between the subject and reality?

Money would be the prime example, as far as I can tell. Cutting off the gold standard (at least in principle) would be severing the cord which tethers the abstraction to the concrete, and grants the abstraction a kind of floating sovereignty?

How I-owe-you's have become intrinsically valuable.

luka

i don't understand a word of it. sometimes it makes me want to have a temper tantrum.

version

Do you think it has to do with hyperreality, when the representations of reality become reality, no longer mediating between the subject and reality?

Money would be the prime example, as far as I can tell. Cutting off the gold standard (at least in principle) would be severing the cord which tethers the abstraction to the concrete, and grants the abstraction a kind of floating sovereignty?

How I-owe-you's have become intrinsically valuable.
This is what he talks about in A Note on Metal too. Value being separated from material qualities.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Another weird example of the nominal supplanting the substantial.

Cultural/ideological crack-downs/educations on the common usage of the word "retard". We get hung up on the nominal, rather than seeking to address the substantial. Because kids get frowned at for saying the word "retarded", they just joke by calling their friends mentally disabled. Purely a nominal shift.

edit: that is, we treat the nominal (which is employed as a representative of the substantial) as if it were substantial-in-itself. And then the problem persists, and everyone wonders why.

linebaugh

"euro cuck"??? "the Wienery"???? you're being very cryptic today lindbaugh
I didnt mean it! Merely joking your inner dude had been subdued by the euro lads

This is the first time Ive ever said cuck on an internet forum, you should be honored

Wienery is what the name would suggest- a place for hot dogs. link

version

I think what he's talking about in A Note on Metal is value ceasing to be based on the inherent qualities of a given material. A coin's value doesn't come from its properties as a piece of metal and you don't fashion a coin into anything else. That's why he goes from stone (history) to metal (theory). It's a process of abstraction. History deals with the material, theory breaks from it. Quality is no longer essential.
I think he's also saying magical properties are bound up in substance, so if you're dealing with something based on its quality, e.g. alchemy, those properties survive the process because the process is reliant on that quality. Once you're dealing with something based on a non-material value you're effectively splitting it in two.

luka

Another weird example of the nominal supplanting the substantial.

Cultural/ideological crack-downs/educations on the common usage of the word "retard". We get hung up on the nominal, rather than seeking to address the substantial. Because kids get frowned at for saying the word "retarded", they just joke by calling their friends mentally disabled. Purely a nominal shift.

well they decided that language creates reality or at least enshrines and naturalises particular contingent power relations. so if you could switch mankind for peoplekind you are striking a blow for feminism. which actually sounds plausible. but perhaps a little magical thinking was creeping in

constant escape

winter withered, warm
The confusion is compounded at that point, because once you decide that (and act as if) language creates reality, you reify that influence even more. Arguably, anyway.