Down?

And it's gonna be alright

and the music plays

forever

on
&
on.

luka

you have to realise that these stuff is describing what happens to you and learn to identify it in your own experience or its going to stay sompletely abstract and nonsensical. once you can match the words to specific events within yourself you'll be cooking.

sus

There's this idea Carhart-Harris and Karl Friston have about psychedelics, that what acid does to your brain is totally relax all your priors about the world, destratify your mental model, allowing you to discover a new local maxima, a new way of seeing that is more adaptive. It seems very in sync with De Landa's thinking, tho I'm new to him. Crucially, like you say @vimothy, mixing things up, shaking the snowglobe and letting it resettle, doesn't always make things better. Sure, new better structure may require chaos, but it's far from a sufficient guarantee.

sus

@luka it seems a chokepoint is the place where all forking paths converge; there is only one way forward, no matter where you came from

luka

we have worked out we can jam a finger in the socket and course something to trip but whether we end up with something better or worse is something of a gamble. it's very crude.

sus

happy to explain anything I spent an entire summer in Mexico just learning about Friston's free energy principle, so I got a relatively good handle on this stuff

luka

probably too late to manage it tonight but i promise i will hack tbhrough it as best i can

linebaugh

happy to explain anything I spent an entire summer in Mexico just learning about Friston's free energy principle, so I got a relatively good handle on this stuff

Free energy principle

Description
The free energy principle is a formal statement that explains how living and non-living systems remain in non-equilibrium steady-states by restricting themselves to a limited number of states.

would love this brought down to earth a little bit

luka

ive got a kind of spitting feral hostility towards 'scienctific' approaches to psychedelics as a rule.

sus

would love this brought down to earth a little bit

Yep, this'll be a bit less than technically correct, but it'll get the gist apart. So there's a statistical concept Kullback-Leibler divergence (KLD), the divergence between two probability distributions. When we're talking about the KLD between the real statistical structure of the world, and the statistical model that people have of that world, we're talking about how in-sync a person's map is to the real territory. When there are divergences, eventually reality "bubbles" up—things that shouldn't happen, according to your model, happen, and more often than you'd expect. (This is a bit what the whole "it's 2020 and we're living in a simulation" meme is about, yeah?)

We're talking about subjective surprisal—how hard is it to explain an even given your statistical model of possible events? If Luka heard a knock on his Londy flat right now and answered it, and it was me, that would be very surprising, because he thinks I'm in Wisconsin right now. He probably thinks the knock is the friend he invited over earlier in the afternoon, and if it's anyone but that friend he may also be mildly surprised.

When you're surprised often, it means you have a bad model of the world. Organisms with bad models die off more often than those with good models, because they cannot predict future events well, they can't pattern-match and make valuable inferences. They're cognitively inferior and that makes them less fit, evolutionarily. You can see this at every level of action: an ability to predict whether the response of a conversation partner will be positive or negative, after a given remark, is part of what we call "social intelligence," just as the famed "basketball IQ" is your ability to read the court (i.e. size up the environment) and make decisions based on patterns of cause & effect.

The free energy principle (FEP) is a formalization of the idea that brains are dedicated to minimizing Kullback-Leibler divergence, and surprisal generally. Building better statistical models of the environment. Karl Friston, one of the authors on the paper, is the originator of the FEP, and thinks that autopoietic, statistical modeling of the environment is a prerequisite for life itself. It's taking the Good Regulator Theorem (every control system is a model of its environment), applying it to living organisms, and extrapolating it to cognitive models.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Wonderful stuff man, hadn't heard of Kullback-Leibler divergence, but its already screamingly useful.

The free energy principle (FEP) is a formalization of the idea that brains are dedicated to minimizing Kullback-Leibler divergence, and surprisal generally. Building better statistical models of the environment.

It seems to me that this divergence is minimized (almost) asymptotically, the map getting closer and closer to the territory, the divergence being measured in ever lower orders of magnitude, and the moment it finishes is the moment the universe ends, the moment we become one with it, dematerialize, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

luka

It's not the way I feel about stuff I must admit. I don't think of reality as being a round hole and my task being about becoming less and less of a square peg till I almost fit neatly into it. But I promised to read it and I will.

constant escape

winter withered, warm

The quote from Alexander, regarding the Snowden leak documents:

“I think it’s wrong that that newspaper reporters have all these documents, the 50,000-whatever they have and are selling them and giving them out as if these — you know it just doesn’t make sense,” Alexander in an interview in 2013. “We ought to come up with a way of stopping it. I don’t know how to do that. That’s more of the courts and the policymakers but, from my perspective, it’s wrong to allow this to go on.”

Am I misunderstanding something, or is it strange that he would argue, in an interview intended for the public, that interviewers-for-the-public should be barred from accessing the material in question?

If he is saying its wrong for "newspaper reporters" to have access to these documents, does that necessarily mean that the documents are intended to go unaccessed by reporters? Feels like I'm missing something obvious here. Also, I have no idea how these things work.