Anyway, I'm not exactly the world's biggest Starmer fan, but I'm always surrounded by how much people hate him. I don't even mean on dissensus, I see it on fb and twitter and everywhere. The left of the labour party in particular seems to reserve far more vitriol for him than for their ostensible enemies in the Tory party - which I suppose I get cos of Corbyn and so on, but there seem to be loads of others too who have no particular dog in the fight but have absolutely visceral hatred for someone that I tend to think of as annoyingly bland. Which is a terrible thing in itself, but something which, almost by definition, tends to be hard to get worked up about.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Totally insane bullshit. Getting elected is actually hard, and requires talking shit unfortunately. I mean the Right so obviously wants to paint him as "lefty lawyer Starmer" why give them that ammo?

They hate him 'cos he's fucked the Left of the party completely. Its remarkable how much he's done in only a few years.

There's also something there about how Twitter (and Dissensus) discourse tends to the extreme negative.

Yes mate, he has to lie to the public and his own party! To play the game! Why can’t people just go along with it all!?!

Just on the aesthetic level I fucking despise Starmer. His pallid pink face and his stupid scolding weedy voice. A sad wee disappointed cop bore who stands for fuck all and just wants the world to be more sensible, appealing to all the other boring sensible fearful cunts with no imagination, no craic, no principles. I would happily mash his legs into a paste with a 5 iron.

version

Both him and Rachel Reeves give me a really bad feeling, but British politics is nothing but bad feeling and the Tories in particular are an absolute cesspit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just on the aesthetic level I fucking despise Starmer. His pallid pink face and his stupid scolding weedy voice.
How is this any better than the sort of morons you used to see on vox-pop interviews a few years back, listing among the reasons they could never vote for a party led by Corbyn "his silly, scruffy little beard that makes him look like a geography teacher"?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yes mate, he has to lie to the public and his own party! To play the game! Why can’t people just go along with it all!?!
I watched the first 10 seconds of that video and they were showing a video of Starmer talking about making the case for Free Movement (not sure when, long before he was leader, I assume). The Tories have yesterday put forwards the most shitty, evil piece of legislation imaginable pretty much just so they can have a fight with Labour on immigration. In what fucking universe would it be sensible to walk into an election agitating for free movement?

DannyL

Wild Horses
To answer Rich's point a bit I don't really listen to most critiques of Starmer coming from the Left 'cos it's all so hysterical. Shame because I'm sure there are some valid points there but you can't make them out for all the denouncements of him for eating babies.

How is this any better than the sort of morons you used to see on vox-pop interviews a few years back, listing among the reasons they could never vote for a party led by Corbyn "his silly, scruffy little beard that makes him look like a geography teacher"?
It’s funnier, elegant and much more violent

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To answer Rich's point a bit I don't really listen to most critiques of Starmer coming from the Left 'cos it's all so hysterical. Shame because I'm sure there are some valid points there but you can't make them out for all the denouncements of him for eating babies.
Same thing happened to Corbyn, too: legit criticisms got mixed up with all that "he's a communist who wants to ban private property" bollocks.

DannyL

Wild Horses
To answer Rich's point as clearly as possibly - the Left hate him because hate is easy, and they enjoy it. They also know that he's shut the Left out of any influence in Parliamentary politics for the next decade, a trend which will only be accentuated if he becomes PM. The only route for a comeback is if he fails.

Danny you sound like some mad insecure teenager!

Your argument, as clearly as possibly:

They hate cos they be haters and when they lose they be losers

DannyL

Wild Horses
No, they hate 'cos they've lost. Lost the party, lost in court to the EHRC, lost any influence, lost an election. They need someone to pin it on.

It’s the playing of the game that I find so sickening. That it’s all PR. If suella really wanted to stop boats there are better means but it’s about the optics and appealing to horrible instincts. Starmer playing same game

DannyL

Wild Horses
It’s the playing of the game that I find so sickening. That it’s all PR. If suella really wanted to stop boats there are better means but it’s about the optics and appealing to horrible instincts. Starmer playing same game
That's the game you have to play to get elected. The boats thing is fucking foul but Starmer et al not as bad as the Tories