corpse do u like this

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But where did I say anything like that? What does that assertion have to do with the opinions I’ve expressed?

we need 2024 dred in new jungle. neuro is still stuck in 1998, even if its sound design evolves, which it does, constantly.

I've been trying to push people into shredding their breaks into darbuka hooliganism and constructing new breaks.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
imagine how great it would have been if techstep pushed into quasi-free jazz dissonant skronk territory.

It's not jungle, not even dnb, but this guy got it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the modernist project must never be left to die a sad death!

That's the problem with the neuro lads, not neuro itself. They saw neuro as the peak of experimentation, and just stopped there, at that comfortable stasis.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
fun is acceptable if it is subordinate to the impulse to push to distant frontiers.

We must be educated in new ways to have fun, and to do that, we must disdain the old conceptions of fun to a certain degree.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the modernist project must never be left to die a sad death!

That's the problem with the neuro lads, not neuro itself. They saw neuro as the peak of experimentation, and just stopped there, at that comfortable stasis.

the problem with the breakcore possee was that they chopped their breaks still in the 4x4, just much faster. but how about have a jungle track where there are breakdowns and beat sections into 9-2, 7-8? with contemporary 808 trap samples and bass tones?

On the contrary, we must reproach neuro for surrendering to drug fun, eventually. which it is.

dilbert1

fun is acceptable if it is subordinate to the impulse to push to distant frontiers.

We must be educated in new ways to have fun, and to do that, we must disdain the old conceptions of fun to a certain degree.

Fully agree. But you place undue responsibility on jungle to “not let the modernist project die.” That was a reckoning of history

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Fully agree. But you place undue responsibility on jungle to “not let the modernist project die.” That was a reckoning of history

not really, I think jungle is like rock, rap, house and techno. it was antiformist and even reformist in its era, and now its conformist.

What I would like to see, and here I guess I differ from you, is actually for people to take on that first 3-5 years of experimentation in jungle and think about how that might sound in 2024. But that wouldn't get people club bookings or even push units.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
which, again, is why I'm not hostile to 'idm' inherently, albeit a lot of it never really gets to where I want it to.

It's why I was championing people like Atomhead a few years ago. Its not jungle, not even close to jungle, not even in the lineage that say halftime was, in fact it was coming from the outer edges of the gabber scene where it crosses with musique concrete, but it was trying to think of what a truly online music would sound like.

dilbert1

What I would like to see, and here I guess I differ from you, is actually for people to take on that first 3-5 years of experimentation in jungle and think about how that might sound in 2024. But that wouldn't get people club bookings or even push units.

I think the revivalists have the right idea going back to where things left off, but a lot of the time they're stuck there playing it safe. Its got to be bombastic, balls out, stunning.

No! LOOK! We agree third! I am my own man, not a stand-in for some opposing camp! I'm a human being, god damn it!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
No! LOOK! We agree third! I am my own man, not a stand-in for some opposing camp! I'm a human being, god damn it!

nah you're in jacob's ladder.

I do think we agree, but again, this is why it was necessary to attribute a slightly false opinion to you. For instance I just don't think bombast is the 2024 way of living. xanaxcore more like.

dilbert1

Like you said, it will offend weaker tastes, it won't go along to get along, and its absolutely got to own that

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Bombast as in daring, decidedly different, bold, uninhibited by the prevailing etiquette

yes, I agree with that.

But like I said in the other thread, it wouldn't be popular club music then. The industry is too fucked with social media pleasantries for a terminator to blow up like that again.

You need mad unhinged characters, and the walls have ears these days, which is shit.

People have to moderate what they say around others because it's a culture of rectum pleasing and one wrong move on social media means you've cost yourself your livelyhoods.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
So what I do is look for diamonds in the rough. try to extricate the possibilities of lost futures. Just as in historical politics, when the class is defeated its vanguard is weak, in culture, when the culture is conformist, its avant-garde tendancies are also found lacking. It is hard to think of any cultural artifacts from the 2010s which are all that essential, ditto 2020s. We have entered a real period of aesthetic stagnation, and I fear the only way we will get out of it is through the after effects of war and displacement of populations. But then, multiculturalism, miscegenation and creole musics have always been based on a foundation of violence.

A certain direction techstep could have continued to evolve in.

other_life

bioconfused
Xanaxcore in jungle is pretty unexplored.

i think the mid 2010s moment of footwork almost not quite crossing over, vaporwave refusing to die + still having good records on its margins, 'fake jungle' on TMT approved new releases and the first stirrings of the current tim reaper scene was kind of a missed window.
ideally a tighter interface would have developed between these different modes, hybridisations would have generalised. rather than all these false starts

dilbert1

I certainly wouldn’t capitulate to whimsically oscillating between pretending not to know what jungle is and worshipping DJ Hype

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i think the mid 2010s moment of footwork almost not quite crossing over, vaporwave refusing to die + still having good records on its margins, 'fake jungle' on TMT approved new releases and the first stirrings of the current tim reaper scene was kind of a missed window.
ideally a tighter interface would have developed between these different modes, hybridisations would have generalised. rather than all these false starts

yes. I do think the reaper stuff with its arpy pads is interesting, although obviously it could be developed more. Vapourwave was locking into that I guess, dealing with the after effects of the extinguished promises of internet 1.0. Something like picking up on where early Black Dog left off. I dunno, because I never really fully got vw.