luka

thats a big part of what a hate about comedy yeah. we had some threads about it. at least two. i was moaning about Dylan Moran for that reason.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
And of course stereotypes are baked-in to comedy in the classic 'englishman, irishman, scotsman' jokes.

entertainment

Yeah you called it 'tyranny of common sense' or something didn't you? or someone else? Stuck with me that one.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
It is anti-Romantic. It brings everything down to the meanest level. Doesn't let anybody get above their station. Attacks anything pretentious. Chains everybody to their origins. Won't let anybody escape ever. It's parochial, mean, small. That's why the British excel at it.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I remain firmly convinced that textualize and educate is a better approach, unless the racism (or other bad thing) is really egregious

admittedly I don't know how exactly that would work in the case of streaming services with huge back catalogues of TV + movies going back decades

not that I'd be bemoaning the loss of whatever the American equivalent of Little Britain is

I just don't trust whoever makes these decisions to make good decisions, especially when they're clearly driven by fear and corporate directives, rather than organically evolving out of a desire to do the right thing

tbf erring on the side of not continuing to demean people is obviously good

luka

it is a wee bit different with streaming. when its telly you just dont ever show the show again and no one really cares.

craner

Beast of Burden
I just don't trust whoever makes these decisions to make good decisions, especially when they're clearly driven by fear and corporate directives, rather than organically evolving out of a desire to do the right thing

You should trust me when I say that my decision to cancel Mock the Week is an excellent one.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yeah I just think it's tough to go back and edit history

Mickey Rooney yellowface played a hideously racist bucktoothed caricature of a Japanese person - that shouldn't be something we excise from history

put a disclaimer/trigger warning before it like they do with mature content sometimes "be advised, this is racist" (but better than that obv)

let the people who made this stuff be branded by that ignominy forever

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I liked that sketch in Little Britain where the wheelchair-bound guy waits for his carer to disappear and then does a dive off the high board. Then swims back to sit in his chair, whereupon the carer returns, oblivious.

Was I laughing because I secretly think all wheelchair users are just being lazy or manipulative? I'd like to think not.

I think I was laughing at the idea that this wheelchair user would be secretly so manipulative. It seemed so incongruous, so unlikely...

I'm mentioning this sketch in particular because it's the only one I remember from the show that I really laughed at.

And now I feel like a monster.

craner

Beast of Burden
What is the difference between what is happening now and the decision that was made years ago to change to name of the dog in The Dam Busters?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Used to laugh Papa Lazarou in League of Gentlemen, too. Didn't even occur to me that it would have a racial element to it. Even the fact he's a gypsy didn't seem offensive to me. Again, was this because I thought gypsies are like that? I don't think so, it was too OTT and mad. There's an element of laughing at the stereotype, at the idea that people could even think gypsies could be like that.