WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Has any of this claimed a significant scalp yet? Seems the closest was Trump getting into a Twitter spat about Twitter with Twitter. Ouroboros might be proud.

So much of it seems like low hanging fruit being culled. Equally, differentiating between a character like Weinstein and socio-political twerps doesn’t get at the Establishment itself. What’s the objective? Significant political change or a dopamine hit come hysteria about whatever floats into the ire’s focus? Incremental nibbles at idiots isn’t the answer. How do you ‘cancel’ the ERG, as an example? How could you cancel Matt Hancock? He’d be a superb Wicker Man sacrifice while on the subject.

There will always be idiots capable of essentially outing themselves from platforms of influence due to extremist perspectives. I’d cancel Twitter if anything, not that I ever go near it because I’m far too suave. What a pile of toxic wank.

luka

I like Twitter a lot. I don't know if that's because I'm not misanthropic or because I am.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I stand corrected... somehow I missed that. I'm being completely unfair in fact, for all I know he could be a genius.

poetix

we murder to dissect
“You’ll never work in this town again!” Is more of a threat in some “town”s than others. Like, you don’t get cancelled from working in construction jobs (although you might get blacklisted). You can very quickly become somebody no-one wants talking at their Art Thing, because Art Things are run by a tiny tribe of absolute neurotics. The world of journalism and media seems to have Balkanised in such a way that getting cancelled by one lot means you will find a ready embrace in the arms of some other lot. Is anybody universally cancelled? It seems like you’d have to work really hard at pissing people off to arrive at that destination.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
God, I hate Spiked. They don't even pretend to be anything other than contrarian at this point.
If contrarianism reaches a certain critical level of popularity, they'll have to start being loudly and conspicuously conformist, just to be different.

Leo

I imagine it depends on whether you feel you were wronged. some people who get cancelled claim to be misunderstood, other proudly bask in the glory and wear it as a badge of honor.

luka

cancel culture. pursed lips. ugly people. cant hit a six or bowl a 5 for. never smoked a spilff with Big Viv Richards.

john eden

male pale and stale
Just reading about an 18 year old who was jailed for 3 years in 1981 for dishing out photocopies in Nottingham of an anarchist article supporting the Brixton riots.

That’s a bit more aggro than your Milos and Ninas face.