sufi

lala
there seems to be a bit less cancellation during pandemic times. the two phenomena are inversely proportional.
πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„
most of those examples were high status - "the mob" took them down,
the definition of the mob being some sort of human/media zeitgeist cyborg i suppose
we need to steer that powerful beast
I'm tending to think that the mob is our best chance now

version

I mentioned Little Britain in the culture war thread, but you can add The Mighty Boosh, Bo' Selecta! and The League of Gentlemen to the list. Apparently they've all been pulled from Netflix now.

entertainment

I think it's a bit ridiculous going back and erasing artefacts of the past unless they're extremely racist to the point it corrodes any other value. Racist beyond what was normal at the time. I mean even Marx has race essentialist assumptions about different populations.

version

I think there are clear issues with the things being pulled, but I'm not convinced pulling them's the right way to go. Apparently what Disney've done with some of their older material is stuck a disclaimer at the start making clear they're a product of their time and deeply flawed. That seems like a better approach to me.

The other thing this does is overlap with the decline of physical media as if physical media goes completely and everything's curated by companies like Netflix then removing something from these platforms is essentially removing it from existence.

sufi

lala
is it interesting how fast netflix and the beeb have suddenly found their consciences regarding blackface - how has the mob managed to get this done?

version

A thread on sacrifices and Western individualism in the face of stuff like climate change, coronavirus and this might be an idea. There's clearly a lot of friction between people wanting the luxuries they're accustomed to and what needs to be done to deal with a bunch of the big issues facing society atm.

version

is it interesting how fast netflix and the beeb have suddenly found their consciences regarding blackface - how has the mob managed to get this done?

I'm wondering whether they're going to quietly reintroduce the stuff at a later date with a disclaimer of some sort "after a period of reflection" or whether they're gone for good.

sufi

lala
Is Craner trolling us? I'm not so bothered about the obviously absurd stuff that could or should be dumped

There is this powerful but undirected social force which is a potentially more effective method of sorting out tyrants than conventional politics.

It seems like the current populism has connected with the alt-right/social conservatism currents very nicely and channeled them into ineffective top down old fashioned tyranny, now the backlash against that is playing out on the streets, achieving changes that weren't thought to be possible 2 weeks ago.
Our job is to work out how to use that to demolish our cultural and political foes

sufi

lala
sure, but everything is dangerous now
i wouldnt think of it as control so much as casting seeds out there, hoping they will sprout into something that will strangle the oppressors
seriously, how else do we get rid of the epsteins, weinsteins and colstons?

version

I'm not sure. I just have a bad feeling about our current trajectory. It doesn't take much for big, angry groups of people to do appalling things.

catalog

I was thinking of reading him soon! My mate says absalom absalom is brilliant. What's he done? if I can cancel him, I might try a dickens instead.

sufi

lala
he talks about the south in that vernacular. Hard to get through in the present day, for me anyway, i like his writing

version

I read The Sound and the Fury and didn't think much of it, but I plan to give some of his other stuff a go before writing him off.