padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
It's all fair and well to talk about compromise and ideals in a theoretical vacuum but us LGBT+ people still have to go out into the actual world and deal with this stuff. It's tiring, having our existence be an "issue of debate", can we not just... exist? Why should I have to do the emotional labour of not just navigating the world and its ambient discrimination in the shadow of a spectrum that runs from minor disrespect to prejudice-borne physical violence, but then having to justify and celebrate my own being?
for the record, I agree with all this 100%

vimothy likes to play these philosophic games, which are not invalid but exist at a far removal from the practical matter

not put words in his mouth, but I am almost certain he wouldn't disagree with anything in that quoted portion either

there are two different planes - as @constant escape puts it above, absolute and relative terms

so I wouldn't mistake "compromise" here for an encouragement to appease bigotry, take it in a more philosophic sense here

resolving a dialectic

in practice of course sometimes there is no reconciling, some % of people will never be won over

padraig (u.s.)

I do have to disagree with you tho about the prevalence of ignorance. many people are shockingly ignorant.

these things - the existences of others - are hugely more mainstream than they were a generation ago, even a few years ago

but that cultural penetration hasn't been uniform. not everyone is on Twitter, or Very Online in general.

and, knowing that something exists isn't always the same as knowing what it really is, or anything besides that it exists

and the toxicity around discourse in many cases, the backlash, etc also acts as a distorting lens

not to excuse to any bigotry, just to say that I find it very easy to believe that people could be ignorant of what [x] existence is actually like

padraig (u.s.)

for example, I strongly feel that people who haven't lived it simply don't understand that weariness, of having to debate your existence

I can attest to that personally. I didn't really understand it until I reconciled my own sexuality.

that literally existential weariness, estrangement from "normality", whence the history of queer melancholia

which is a stereotype but you know, as always, a kernel of true

and I simply feel straight people don't get it unless they've made some empathetic leap

as someone - can't remember who - got upset when I pulled him up on it in some other thread recently

you could say the same in re white people and POC, men and women, what have you

tbc, it's never incumbent on the disadvantaged group to do the work, always the other way

chava

for example, I strongly feel that people who haven't lived it simply don't understand that weariness, of having to debate your existence

I can attest to that personally. I didn't really understand it until I reconciled my own sexuality.

that literally existential weariness, estrangement from "normality", whence the history of queer melancholia

which is a stereotype but you know, as always, a kernel of true

and I simply feel straight people don't get it unless they've made some empathetic leap

as someone - can't remember who - got upset when I pulled him up on it in some other thread recently

you could say the same in re white people and POC, men and women, what have you

tbc, it's never incumbent on the disadvantaged group to do the work, always the other way

Not denying this, but any teenager regardless of sexuality probably has these feelings. Existential weariness, alienation, feeling weird is not exclusive to "excluded" groups. Of course all those darned normies never feel existential dread, but they are less common that you might think

boxedjoy

and that's why I think it's so galling to see Rowling use her platform this way - the character of Harry Potter is built on that private fear of not having a place to fit in, and the series as a phenomenon is that feeling blown up into a global scale of relatability, so to see her turn her back on that on that message of acceptance is so alienating to the people who these books have ever meant anything to

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
and that's why I think it's so galling to see Rowling use her platform this way - the character of Harry Potter is built on that private fear of not having a place to fit in, and the series as a phenomenon is that feeling blown up into a global scale of relatability, so to see her turn her back on that on that message of acceptance is so alienating to the people who these books have ever meant anything to
Plus there's the whole anti-"mud-blood" prejudice among the "pure" wizarding families as an extremely subtle metaphor for racism.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Also the fact of Rowling’s vast and impressionable younger readership take her views as something to endorse too. Bigotry always has a trickle down effect.

padraig (u.s.)

I think if you know enough about the debate to "have an opinion" (ugh) on eg trans rights then you really do enough to make the decision to not be a bigot
idk about that - people "have opinions" from a place of relative ignorance all the time

if that were not the case we would live in a better world than the one we actually live in

padraig (u.s.)

Existential weariness, alienation, feeling weird is not exclusive to "excluded" groups
where did I say they were

of course we all experience alienation. is that really a disclaimer I need to make? is not implicit?

your response is the same kind of thinking as responding to "black lives matter" with "all lives matter" - who said otherwise? how does the one invalidate the other?

padraig (u.s.)

I'm talking about a specific kind of alienation unique to queer people

having experienced both I can tell you it is related to but not the same thing as the general alienation everyone feels

not to say all queer people experience alienation in the same way

otoh, go ask any queer person and they'll almost certainly know what I'm talking about

I'm sure there is a specific alienation that POC feel that white people don't, or that subalterns feel that colonists don't, or etc

constant escape

winter withered, warm
It's all fair and well to talk about compromise and ideals in a theoretical vacuum but us LGBT+ people still have to go out into the actual world and deal with this stuff.

True, but I can only operate in my jurisdiction, which is theoretical. Precisely because I don't have to deal with this stuff in the actual world, I can only appreciate it, and relate to it, in abstract ways. As effective as these ways can be at building an understanding, at supporting empathy, I'll never have to live it beyond speculation.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ultimate rowling troll move would be for her to reveal that Voldemort was a trans woman who first learned black magic to get into the boys' toilets at hogwarts.

Actually come to think of it moaning Myrtle is a ghost who lives in the girls toilets and occasionally floats into the boys bathrooms to perv on them. (To my knowledge she perved on Cedric diggory and Harry p.)

Paging Bloomberg.com