(Human) Modular design and thinking

luka

eg

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Do you think that gradient, from maximal/immobile inversely to minimal/mobile, will remain the primary target of improvement, or do you you think other gradients will emerge? What other gradients can we already map out?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Or how can those two extremities loop around and connect? Perhaps the ultimately mobile and the ultimately maximal will actually coincide.

catalog

i was doing some drawings of them and how they all fit together, those devices, they all map to different body parts. you could make a robot out of all of them

catalog

Do you think that gradient, from maximal/immobile inversely to minimal/mobile, will remain the primary target of improvement, or do you you think other gradients will emerge? What other gradients can we already map out?
well the obvious thing that's going to happen is we're going to soon remove the screen, through VR. so it's going to shift to headset and gloves i think? there's nowhere else for the screen to go is there? they tried the eatches but they are rubbish and haven't caught on. and you go bigger than a big desktop, you start to need curvature and stuff.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Good points, and yeah I don't see how the next major steps won't be in the directions you just laid out.

But perhaps this, the physical spectrum, isn't the only spectrum? because the whole stretch of physical complexity here is still in the realm of the material, which is being midwived by teche to birth the immaterial. So what would our situation look like from up there?

catalog

as long as we got our meatjackets, we'll create for them i reckon. when we're a load of fizzing lights in jars, perhaps a different size ipad will turn up

sufi

lala
i like the idea that your cells have layers starting with that dna protein core with bits added for functions some chlorophyll stuff and maybe you're a plant leaf sinew, some neuron stuff and you're a brain cell, a few more features and your a wiggly amoeba
and then
how bodies made up of ingenious unlikely combinations of disparate components: hammer anvil stirrup and cones is an ear, lens and goo and photosensitivity and you can see. ligaments and gristle, you can swap it out, upgrade,
i read somewhere recently that this sort of notion has a name and was a scientific movement back in the 19th/20th C until it was scientofically disproved. it's a nice comfortable and obvious idea, especially for victorian types, that there's a sort of developmental/evo;utionary hieracrhy nestled up inside layers of successively more complex forms =like a babushka doll

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I tend to think of these layers as orders of physical complexity, and the development being "stochastic" I think is key to understanding it. Its almost random, but with feedback that gives certain permutations evolutionary weight over others. Might be near what D&G refer to when they talk about strata, with one stratum emerging from another.

And another crazy thing to try to understand is the time scale, the different time scales across these advancements from one order to another. Its like certain critical developments (again pseudo-random) actually function to hasten the very processes that led to them. Or like the emergence of prokaryotes as a result of a eukaryote subsuming some virion, one system swallowing another system and keeping it intact. In such a situation, the swallowed system becomes an organ in the larger one, and a whole slew of production opportunities are likely opened right up.

Maybe the cytoplasm is a more hospitable envrionment for such-and-such swallowed virion, and enables it to crank out protein complexes at a faster rate. Don't know, but that sort of thing is par for the course, seemingly.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
And then you can next nest the respective timescales of these physical orders, in the manner of those dolls you mentioned. proteins being produced and distributed at one timescale, cells reproducing at another, and so on, up to our timescale of decades.

sufi

lala