George Floyd

shakahislop

was at the whitney biennial yesterday. as with absolutely every art thing I've been to in the US in the last couple of years, race was at the forefront.

it's interesting to think of how the 2020 BLM protests will be memorialised, a process which i guess is already starting.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah it seems BLM has been transmuted from a partially political partially cultural movement, to more of a purely cultural movement, now in the hands of liberal university art/theory culture.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
its funny to me how the Proud Boys are the one legacy that Gavin McInnes and by that extention VICE have on the world at large
Just earlier today I was thinking that you don't hear much about VICE these days.

And, me being the ultimate arbiter of cultural relevance that I am, this means they're more or less finished, I think.

version

I think they've just slotted into the patchwork of publications and news sources now. They're established and work their lane of slightly edgier reporting on YouTube.

forclosure

was at the whitney biennial yesterday. as with absolutely every art thing I've been to in the US in the last couple of years, race was at the forefront.

it's interesting to think of how the 2020 BLM protests will be memorialised, a process which i guess is already starting.
i mean it's also the case here doing exhibitions for certain important figures who should've had this treatment long ago but only done now because of the british BLM response

shakahislop

you stood me up at my friend's b-day gathering for the biennial?
i swung by but just as i arrived and was standing at the bar, the simmering tension between Lydia and Dasha boiled over into some sharp words and I could see how uncomfortable the situation was getting. I had a chat with Lee Ranaldo about it and he said that kind of thing happens all the time with you, that you can't help it, it's just the allure is so strong, and the Lynx that you wear doesn't help matters, so I thought all things considered, given that you were surrounded by @suspended's art toilet waifs anyway, I'd save our introduction for a happier time

shakahislop

i was with some bosnian friends at an absolutely terrible club on the upper east side, horrendous, a load of drunk people crammed into a room, it felt like the one club in a provincial english town, all the people with nothing in common except that they were in that part of town and didn't want to get home yet, waiting for ten minutes waving $20 bills to get a drink, security throwing out wasted girl-harassing young men, some guys who looked like they should be in the Sopranos standing behind a red rope, and two girls in glittery thongs walking along the bar and dancing, literally looking through her legs with a shaking arse in my face trying to finally get the attention of the barman, loud 80s cheese on a nasty soundsystem, making the peace after my bosnian friend told some girls to fuck off because they were annoyed he was dancing into them

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
i was with some bosnian friends at an absolutely terrible club on the upper east side, horrendous, a load of drunk people crammed into a room, it felt like the one club in a provincial english town, all the people with nothing in common except that they were in that part of town and didn't want to get home yet, waiting for ten minutes waving $20 bills to get a drink, security throwing out wasted girl-harassing young men, some guys who looked like they should be in the Sopranos standing behind a red rope, and two girls in glittery thongs walking along the bar and dancing, literally looking through her legs with a shaking arse in my face trying to finally get the attention of the barman, loud 80s cheese on a nasty soundsystem, making the peace after my bosnian friend told some girls to fuck off because they were annoyed he was dancing into them
Forget Joyce, Shaka has just elevated the run-on sentence to an art form.

shakahislop

one of many reasons why there's never a need to go to the upper east side.
it is weird that it's one of the more moderately priced parts of town now (one of the cheaper parts that isn't far from the action i mean).

totally different crowd up there. way whiter, way less fashionable, much less cool.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Shame they weren't Croatian. You could have said "Sorry guys, I gotta Split."

vimothy

yurp
I'm supposed to be off here for ramadan but you're truly a moldy banana if you think this is a recent (ca. 20-30 years) development.

Once again the poverty of envisaging everything through peoples self-diagnosed and self-perceived ideologies strikes again.

inb4 Luka goes on a rant about how exasperating I am
I dont remember saying it happened within the last twenty to thirty years

vimothy

yurp
del noce was writing in 1970 iirc and is obviously describing a dynamic which arose in the 60s, so I'm not sure where you've got this time frame from