Are political events and large-scale disasters now the only form of collective experience?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Women and minorities are better represented, but you still seem to be watching mostly well-connected people from the middle to upper class.
True, so its progressive along demographic lines other than socioeconomic. Like its all bracketed within upper-middle/upper class.

version

True, so its progressive along demographic lines other than socioeconomic. Like its all bracketed within upper-middle/upper class.
Yeah, that's the way it comes across to me. I agree with you that there does genuinely seem to be better representation within those classes though.

luka

Watching those eighties films they weren't very white at all except the John Hughes ones of course.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
My guess is it's too early to tell whether it really sticks; fervor's bound to die down at some point, as all fervor must, and then depending on a lot of factors it might entrench as a new norm, or we might look back on it as a "PC craze" like some people talk about the 90s. Where I differ from the left is the belief that belligerently enforcing this stuff through psychological abuse will improve our chances of it sticking around, rather than cause a vicious and ridiculously predictable backlash/downplaying
True, and this makes me think of a point that @padraig (u.s.) made a while back, which I understood as being about how empathy is effective where guilt is just indulgent and stagnant. Not only that, it feels better too.

And one can project guilt onto others, which is largely the root of much of this post-woke frustration. I think it largely has to do with getting past guilt, past the point where you can acknowledge privilege, rather than remaining indefinitely hung-up on it. Cause just pointing it out, however true it is, doesn;t seem to really change people.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah, that's the way it comes across to me. I agree with you that there does genuinely seem to be better representation within those classes though.
And my tentative assertion here, against what @suspended suggested, is that it won;t prove to be a trend, and that it will cement into liberal upper-middle class to unprecedented degrees. And perhaps this cultural representation can lead to more political representation. Don't think thats an unrealistic prediction.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Then again, I don't know the demographic stats of congresspeople/policymakers in the US, and how those stats compare to the wider demographics.

luka

That was the interesting sleight of hand with that BLM where a thing about killing got detournedinto a thing about media representations, deftly nudged from the real into the symbolic

The Bachelor is doing really well too, people have Bachelor/ette parties with their pods. I didn't see that one coming, pretty soon everyone I know and everyone my brother knows (very different social scenes), all these guys are getting together to watch Bachelor together.

What are pods?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I'm beginning to learn how remote and borderline imaginary the politics of the average upper-middle liberal is, at least in US (edit: maybe "democrat" is more accurate than "liberal" here, not sure). Might be a generational thing, but it seems like people would rather preserve a comfortable, if imaginary, narrative than actually understand how things work.

I'm beginning to learn how remote and borderline imaginary the politics of the average upper-middle liberal is, at least in US (edit: maybe "democrat" is more accurate than "liberal" here, not sure). Might be a generational thing, but it seems like people would rather preserve a comfortable, if imaginary, narrative than actually understand how things work.

knowing stuff that other people don’t and feeling part of a shared community of knowledge is more fulfilling than knowing stuff that can be verified

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Oh I don't disagree, it seems very possible, I just don't think it's a given either way.
True, and I shouldn;t treat it like a given. Which I have been doing, hence any liberties I've felt expressing ostensibly alt-right perspectives, which have also been in the interest of reconnaissance.

version

Watching those eighties films they weren't very white at all except the John Hughes ones of course.
You have to look at the roles being played too though. There are loads of people who aren't white in 80s action films, but they frequently seem to be stereotyped as gangsters and terrorists. If there's a gay character, they're usually there for comic relief and not much else. Women are often objectified.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Glad enough every cunt (not you lot) isn’t prolapsing over Game of Thrones. Covid has sealed that collective trauma off. Imagine if the world was Covid AND GoT’s. Maybe GoT’s was behind Covid? Dragon iconography and the Chinese etc. Sneaky.

People would look at you funny if you disclosed you weren’t enduring its endless walking here and walking there moments of wonder. One ex-colleague did a titter lunch routine of getting a tattoo of Tirion fucking Lannister. Some people are beyond punching sense into.

We’re past the information singularity. Beirut blew up and the immediacy of it feeds back through all the human nodes. Chernobyl was this much slower sense of dread as the radioactive flume spread across Europe. Here it might be vaccinations getting embedded fully. The relief wave.

Spectacle will always draw attention, just as if you wear Rupert the Bear trousers, but is it the trousers or the gaze that’s causal? What was the question again?