catalog

no doubt the collective joy element is a big part of things. so in that sense, who or what are getting cancelled and binned don't really matter

Leo

i dont consider anything on a major platform like the bbc to be 'art' anymore. no hollywood film, nothing on a major label. nothing played on mainstream radio. i've cancelled it all. that's my response to Martin. it's not art it's just the slop on the feed tray. even if you like it.

maybe you're just making a point but if not, that's a bit OTT. while I agree a lot of -- perhaps most -- content on major platforms is indeed be slop, I wouldn't say all content is de facto slop simply because it's on said platforms. that would be closed minded, not even evaluating the content itself to make a determination.

the collective joy element is a big part of things.

it looks really good craic doesn't it. it must be a real thrill tearing down those statues, i'd love it. do people talk about this part? i imagine when someone has the ammo to cancel someone big they're almost coming in their pants, the power coursing through their veins. of course it'll be couched in the language of justice and indignance but it must be animalistic and joyful

catalog

yeah, especially if they've been sat at home in a tiny shitty room wanking themselves to death for 3 months in the run up

When I say I'd love it I mean the moment. The only thing I can compare with in my own life is ripping up all the flowers and destroying the garden of a family I hated when I was a child. Throwing a big porcelain plant pot against their back window. Thrilling. I do enjoy seeing iconoclasm and things being defaced and destroyed but I've never really felt invested or disgusted enough to do it myself.

catalog

I love that scene in gummo where they beat the chair up. Shane meadows did a shit version of it in this is England. Yeah we are hardwired to get extreme joy out of destruction, see also that thread Leo posted about things getting run over in a calm controlled manner

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
. it must be a real thrill tearing down those statues, i'd love it.

Someone on here recently talked about the buzz of feeling solidarity and I thought oh that's interesting I never feel that and I don't like the sound of it 😂

The only collective experiences I've felt comfortable having is at clubs and concerts where you don't have to even talk or make eye contact.

My fragile ego is clearly very easily threatened. Poor thing. Give it a biscuit.

luka

that was droid. he said it is like an unquenchable fire corsucating through your veins.

droid

There's more than one kind of solidarity. Go to a funeral and open your heart and you'll feel it.

No I’m with you here. I’ve been at one protest in America In about 2008 but it was uncomfortable for me. I’m more comfortable having an argument, knocking on a door and debating a Tory than I am in a crowd all doing the same thing. I’d throw a brick before I’d hold a placard with a brexit pun written in glitter. partly narcissism as you point out, you’re not losing yourself to the dumb mob of bleating crusties etc. But I suppose this mild discomfort is a small price to pay, even the point. People talk about the collective joy aspect being more femme, there’s probably truth to that. It’s maybe like dancing in a club, you need to cross the threshold of self consciousness then you’re in.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I should give it a go one day. I'm not *against* it by any means. But knowing that people feel like that about it was an eye opener.

I've only been to... Isn't this mad? One funeral in my life. There was a communal feel, certainly.

Actually if I start thinking about it I've experienced it in all sorts of situations. Just never political.