The KLF

john eden

male pale and stale
There is a thread!

woops

is not like other people
He used to own that bar in Shoreditch didn't he? I liked the thing on the floor which was so you could drive a car in and then it just span round so you could drive out again cos there was no room to turn round, I think that was a hangover from the previous usage of that place.
the foundry. there is no trace of this place left at all now. it used to be a bank i think. god knows why you'd want to turn a car around as this room was in the basement and you'd have trouble getting a car down there. great place

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the foundry. there is no trace of this place left at all now. it used to be a bank i think. god knows why you'd want to turn a car around as this room was in the basement and you'd have trouble getting a car down there. great place
I think it used to be a foundry, which may be connected to its name as a bar, "The Foundry".

woops

is not like other people
The_foundry_int_2009.JPG

that really takes me back that picture

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think it used to be a foundry, which may be connected to its name as a bar, "The Foundry".
I think it was a bank at some point though, certainly there was a vault downstairs. Although, yeah, it may also have been a foundry too... unless that was some pretentious name for it as a place where ideas and projects were made or some such.
Great pic Woops, I remember those sofas.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, here you go
Upon walking into the Foundry you can be forgiven for mistakenly believing you have just entered a land fill site. The couches are ripped, the chairs are repulsive and the assortment of brick-brack suggest the interior designer might as well have been a blind lunatic. Of course, this is all part of the Foundry's charm and the "give a sh##" décor that the place exudes makes a refreshing change from the try-hard "Ikea luxury" chain-bars that predominate London's drinking holes.
Everything in the Foundry in one form or another can be misconstrued as, or indeed is, art. Upstairs where the bar is located there are usually pieces of original art exhibited around bizarre seating arrangements. Downstairs in what formerly were the banks vaults are two gallery's where artists are invited to exhibit their works for free and there is a regular turn over making it likely that your are always going to see something new. It is rare that a bars toilette's are an attraction but the graffiti laden lavatories of the establishment, like the rest of it, defies the norm.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"He went white [after the call], it was a shock to see him like that actually. No-one else had that power over Julian. Bill was the only person that he was scared of."
He seemed pretty scared of Courtney Love at times.

woops

is not like other people
anyone could do an art exhibition there for free as long as they donated one piece to the permanent collection.

smart arse

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I went there once when Drummond was giving a talk or something of the sort on the subject "Is God a cunt?"

heard of the klf for the first time because of the john higgs book which i loved

was very surprised to learn that they actually were big since i had never heard of them, everyone in here having personal stories tied to the klf confirms that they actually truely were an established name at some point

sufi

lala
There is a thread!

Long Live The KLF megathread

luka

heard of the klf for the first time because of the john higgs book which i loved

was very surprised to learn that they actually were big since i had never heard of them, everyone in here having personal stories tied to the klf confirms that they actually truely were an established name at some point

They were a novelty pop group like Aqua. Unavoidable at the time. The Higgs book is brilliant

IdleRich

IdleRich

They had a UK number one hit (or maybe more than one) at at time when that still meant something. Although, depending on your age, the second part of that statement might also need some backing up I guess.