Musicians who are also artists, writers, painters, publishers etc

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i like gallo a lot generally, both his films (esp buffalo 66) and his tunes
he seems like a terrible person tho who knows. certainly his politics are atrocious.

I recall Buffalo 66 as pretty good. Brown Bunny is almost unfathomably, tho in a way that sticks with you. like a solipsistic Ed Wood.

yeah Gray isn't worth it other than that track, more intellectual premise than actually good, the curse of much of that Downtown scene stuff

my interest there is 100% Basquiat, maybe my favorite painter ever, certainly a very great one

padraig (u.s.)

it's at the level you might see displayed in a random shop front commerical gallery in a provincial town somewhere
no matter how many times, I'm always impressed by the conventionality of your tastes in visual art

not that I'm riding for this particular art, the only ones I find interesting so far (besides Basquiat) is some of the Beefheart

catalog

actually really like the squires and the beefhearts.

yeah gallo is a pro troller with his politics. he is also selling his sperm i believe.

in the basquiat film, there's a good tune where he rings the samaritans and then has it looping over some rough hip hop, but not been able to find that

catalog

Nick Cave writing a novel. you dont want to encourage this sort of behaviour.
this regis mix i was listening to recently has a good nick cave tune, but generally i find him pretty insufferable. a lot of my mates are into him, think he's amazing. i get into arguments with them.

padraig (u.s.)

nick cave?
idk about books, if he's written them (wouldn't surprise) me, but a he wrote the screenplay for a pretty great Australian revisionist western, The Proposition

not quite up there with Unforgiven etc all time greats, but probably on the next tier down of the very good

he also has a brief but memorable acting turn as a psychopath prisoner in the prison film Ghosts of the Civil Dead

luka

Goldie is good tbf. him and 3d were in a book i made my mum buy me when i was 8 called spraycan art. very good book. the international sequal to subway art which focussed on New York. seminal. everyone should own them.

padraig (u.s.)

The Birthday Party is pretty awesome, which is definitely down to Cage but also in large part Rowland S. Howard

everything after - Bad Seeds etc - I've never been much interested in

luka

it's one of the most sophisticated things in there. not that sophisticated is the be all and end all. but it stood out. this is the 3D one which is more naive

1592555550123.png

padraig (u.s.)

I would agree generally there's a whole lot of abysmal art related to musicians trying to paint, act, etc or vice versa

it's very difficult to make interesting art in one medium, so unsurprising that it's rare to able to do it multiple mediums

padraig (u.s.)

unsurprisingly there's a more extensive history of graffiti folx making early hip hop records

none of it approaches "Beat Bop" but still pretty good, surprisingly arty, this being when things were still all mixed up in the Downtown scene

part of a series also involving Phase II and Futura 2000 (with The Clash ca. "Magnificent Seven")

luka

there are a lot of wizards hats in 80s graf cos they drew so heavily on the comics artist Vaughn Bode who has a character called the Cheech Wizard
1592556122165.png

padraig (u.s.)

this one fronted by another graf pioneer is pretty great, disco not disco, rap not rap, super 1981 Downtown vibes