tribute songs

blissblogger

Jump for Kraut! After listening to krautrock music more than probably is healty, I decided to somewhat liberate myself through a long session using only eurorack modular synth. Inspired not by the musics, but rather the band names.

Welcome to my "Krautrock A-Z": 26 improvised tracks, each about 1 minute long. Every recording started with a short meditation on the particular band name. When I've got an idea, I set up a patch that somehow reflected the band name and played and recorded in a rush. Wicked as it may be, but I came to think about Bach's Goldberg variations... These are my varied exercises, ruff'n'ready. No overdubs, no edits.

From start to end – "Krautrock A-Z":

A: Agitation Free (00:00)
B: Brainticket (01:05)
C: Can (02:10)
D: Da Capo (03:18)
E: Embryo (04:13)
F: Flute & Voice (05:16)
G: German Oak (06:23)
H: Harmonia (07:30)
I: Iskander (08:35)
J: Joy Unlimited (09:37)
K: Kaputter Hamster (10:46)
L: Lokomotiv Kreuzberg (11:48)
M: Made In Germany (12:52)
N: Neuschweinstein (13:48)
O: Organisation (14:57)
P: Popol Vuh (16:05)
Q: Q? (17:12)
R: Radio Noisz Ensemble (18:09)
S: Spacebox (19:23)
T: Tetragon (20:25)
U: Utopia (21:28)
V: Velvet Universe 22:29)
W: Wind (23:35)
X: Xhol (24:39)
Y: Yellow Sunshine Explosion (25:41)
Z: Zarathustra (26:45)

actually a fun listen...

sufi

lala
does this count?
The song was thought of by Sermon after buying a copy of Gaye's Midnight Love and the Sexual Healing Sessions album, which overlook some of the original album's earlier mixes. After listening to an outtake of Gaye's 1982 album track, "Turn On Some Music" (titled "I've Got My Music" in its initial version), Sermon decided to mix the vocals (done in a cappella) and add it into his own song. The result was similar to Natalie Cole's interpolation of her father, jazz great Nat "King" Cole's hit,

Benny Bunter

Was thinking about uk funky and how there was no way i was gonna post Versatile Funky Anthem cos that was shit

But then i remembered this...

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Kevin Ayers' bittersweet ode to Nico, a personal favorite

I've seen it read as a "takedown", but I think it's rather a clear-eyed take by a concerned friend

as far as I'm concerned, quite a lovely tribute to a woman who is still hugely underrated as an artist in her own right, rather than a "muse"

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the other hardcore (punk) has many, many tribute songs, of which this is possibly the first

more of a way of distinguishing one scene from another, but it did inspire the title of the seminal Boston hardcore compilation, so it counts