Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've just jumped in. This is great. I love the bass synth that sounds like a bass guitar that's trying really hard to sound like a synth. A quintessentially 80s sound.

woops

is not like other people
not heard sunz of man before, is good. i watched the "of men and mics" documentary about wu tang recently don't watch this if you ain't. took away some of the magic watching them sit round a table reading there lyrics of bits of paper and over-explaining the meaning

craner

Beast of Burden
Kool G Rap.

Inspired sampling of Surface his contribution to mid-90s New York rap. Not as iconic as Biggie’s very similar ‘Juicy’ but just as good. Nas always turned up on the best records at this time, like The Infamous and Cuban Linx and this. Lethal glamour.

craner

Beast of Burden
This gives me memories of listening to Westwood in my bedroom in Swansea in '95 doing paintings for A-Level art. Gangsta!

craner

Beast of Burden
FOXY!!!

This is a deep cut from Foxy’s debut. It also sounds like an off-cut from Mobb’s Hell on Earth, but a really good one. The clipped cinematic loop and ice-pick sharp beat set a chilling backdrop for Foxy and Havoc’s homicidal duet. Not to denigrate Foxy’s talents, because she is amazing on this record, but the lyrics sound exactly like something either Havoc or Prodigy would pen. It’s basically a Mobb record, with Foxy. So obviously I love this.

luka

craner

Beast of Burden
Scritti! That woke you up!

Controversial choice, Corpsey hated it. This is my favorite track on Cupid & Psyche ‘85, a record I like because of its sound architecture: it’s like pop music made by laboratory technicians, like the Melba Moore record but a lot brighter, shinier, spikier. It also sounds like the moment Green Gartside almost got lost on mission, went native: I’m not saying this happened, but the joy of technique and the seductive tension of entryism can be detected in the sweet mesh of synthesizers and samples.