luka

a little while back, just out of mischief, i floated the idea that the middle class, or more broadly the paste demographic, was the true revolutionary class. Mr Eden ended up overturning centuries of marxist dogma and agreeing with me

luka

the huge advantage the hardcore continuum musics had is that they were not linked to voice and face so the paste people could express themselves freely. thats why its the best music ever made in this country. it freed the paste people

version

yes but that's not giving them their power back. its analysing their situation, not helping them transcend it. it's still reflexive impotence. its realism. its documentary.
That's not what I'm arguing. I'm saying they're the demographic, not that Peep Show does anything to help them.

im right about this arent i?

Not really a ‘head’ no, not a core aspect of my identity. obvious stuff like outkast, dr dre as a teen, UK wise it was roots manuva, the streets. More into grime. Later on ‘beats’ Dilla, madlib, flying lotus, dabrye etc. So no not really a hip hop person no

luka

the squandering of human capital is what it's all about and youre supposed to aquiesce and give thanks that youre not a member of the criminalised underclass how fortunate we are mustnt grumble

luka

but on the other hand the criminlised underclass get to make rap records. so its swings and roundabouts.

luka

the interesting question for me is how do you creat art culture etc out of that life. it's not just middle class it encompasses the greater part of the working class too, many of whom make good middle class salaries. i don't think we as paste people are obliged to merely document that life. it has to come out of it organically and honestly but it doesnt have to be that kind of straightforward realism

the problem is even more basic and universal. it's not just an artistic problem but one of self image and self presentation

luka

it opens up interesting questions about the national character and the national culture. it was always going to be a winner.

Every young friendship group have the band fantasy. Assign roles... you'll be the hard one, you're the leader, you're the one who's good with girls, you're the mad bastard. I think luka is right this thread is fuelled by envy and resentment. I had a crew of mates who were funny and took drugs and could make tunes and had a video camera