The honeymoon period

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
A few of my mates put out techno-ish records and the actual process of making the music looks mind numbing. I've visited their studio a few times and it looks as bad as a data entry spreadsheet job

Obviously there must be fun bits too but loads of really dull passages of squinting at cells on a screen too

This is what killed forays into production personally. Loops played incessantly, you think you’re onto something then it dissipates. Then your back starts playing up. You smoke a fag. Go to the chippy. Sit back down and “oh god no, there’s a signal interference that i can’t resolve”. And on and on.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
MLIU went as fast as it came. That's the problem with sounding too 'of a time'

Yes and no. The best of their output still fits in snuggly with any number of records from any number of decades. They’re a small part of a much broader mosaic though, even for France. Brawther is a better example. Sammy’s an encyclopaedia of House, can work a track as well as anyone and provides sets of rare quality in an ocean of shit. He did an interview pod with Chez Damier recently that you might like, so you get the older magic that entranced Chez and then Sammy’s take on sounds ‘of a time’, networks, different production techniques, ie life and these sounds as the eternal honeymoon.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Actually met and hung out with Jeremy MLIU a couple of times. Sound geeza. We first started chatting at Corsica Studios cos I had a Strata East T Shirt on. Turns out he's a big jazz head, too. I really liked what he was doing, but I felt like it was too specific. Brawther on the other hand evolved on from the xerox machine and went on to carve out his own niche. Jeremy shot himself in the foot with the whole #saunagate thing, tho. It was diva behaviour for sure, but got blown way out of proportion. That was peak R.A. comment section time and the breaking of the dam influx of sjw culture into dance music. He really got it bad. Kinda made it worse with his apology video. Not sure what he's been up to since then.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
trust me we’re still tune hunting
I mean if that's your kick good on you. whatever anyone's musical kick is good on em.

personally I find vast swathes of early 90s US house deathly dull, the dullest house qua house music there is (a crowded field)

but that's just personal preference. what's actually objectionable is the soulboyism of it.

like all soulboy things, it inherently tends toward purity and conservatism. keep remaking the same house records forever.

in the old days it was all better, real creativity, real love, real soul, real whatever

like lo-fi house mostly ain't great shakes itself, but it ain't for a lack of creativity, or love for creativity whatever that means

different time, different records, different goals. it's a different take on a few of the same elements.

people try to do something interesting with what came before.

otherwise you wind up like those jazz guys that hated On the Corner etc cos it wasn't proper jazz enough for them

padraig (u.s.)

I know house tends inherently toward conservatism - a staid formula - but it wasn't always like that

idk I don't wanna be some dude telling you not to cherish the music of your formative years or whatever

I am aware of the long-standing French fascination with American house

idk if it rises to the level of "continuum" but if you wanna draw the lines from Cassius etc to the current people sure

Folamour is the other big name I'd add. there's probably a few more but I don't follow that scene too closely.

padraig (u.s.)

it's the same reason no one really cares about jungle revival records

a dead sound, like writing a novel in Latin. you could do it, but why?

and anyone who does like it will almost definitely find the original records sooner or later.

padraig (u.s.)

this is probably straying from the "the honeymoon period tho"

unless we're talking about a honeymoon that never ends, like a first love that stays with you always even after the cause of it has ended

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'm sure we've talked about this before but the Internet for better + worse was the death of artist mystery

either you can find whatever dumb bullshit they Tweet or post on FB or whatever
I'm having this a bit with graffiti. The absolute legends of the NY scene that I thought of as Gods bitd. Now I can see their Instagram accounts - they post some great old photos but idc about the footage of their daughter's weddings etc. It's weird that we can't just lose people now, forget about stuff for a few decades, let it get buried over with time.

Last edited:

sufi

lala
you've discovered something that you really enjoy, but you can't promote it to your mates if you're not confident of its impeccable credentials, so it's like a bubble you get stuck in, you can re-listen but if you want to keep that freshness and mystique, you can't share it or you'd have to engage with all the bothersome context

shazam must have a lot to answer for too - so many shattered love affairs

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
To move things away from House, the early to mid 80’s was the epitome of a honeymoon for a teenage thrash metaller. You’d lose yourself in Our Price’s ltd section that combined these with stacks of DC hardcore etc. Still got those lp’s. Paul D era Iron Maiden, early US releases like Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning, early Slayer, DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, the first Carcass lp’s, listening to the Friday Rock Show on a shit radio at home. But around that intersection somewhere in late 85/early 86, Cabaret Voltaire filtered through from Sheffield and nothing was ever the same again.

We can’t all be B-Boys.

woops

is not like other people
This is what killed forays into production personally. Loops played incessantly, you think you’re onto something then it dissipates. Then your back starts playing up. You smoke a fag. Go to the chippy. Sit back down and “oh god no, there’s a signal interference that i can’t resolve”. And on and on.
there's a passion that spends 20 years seeking unknown house tracks and one that spends 20 years doing the above on a spreadsheet

Benny Bunter

I think we need a thread for ravey late 80s early 90s NY house - stuff that dissensians can relate to, that fed directly into the uk nuum