Benny Bunter

Awaiting a multi-hour ultimate master mix

(If I had more time in between the daily and nightly slog, it’d be a right craic)
Ahem...

Not too bad to be getting on with.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
@Benny B No doubt and many more....you know how a thread like this has its own flavour and potential

If you manacle yourself to the tiller @woops , recall treacherous tendencies while sailing up the Thames attempting to sink a notorious local warship under the ensign of St George

Benny Bunter

(If I had more time in between the daily and nightly slog, it’d be a right craic)
As I thinks been mentioned, its the lack of good contemporary mixes of this stuff (afaik) that's the real bummer. Maybe they never really happened? I haven't found any that cover the scope of this thread, a couple of Frankie Bones things but that's about it from this era. Tomfun said earlier in the thread that none of the djs in NY were playing it as far as he knew, it mostly got exported to the UK.

I think we must have invented this genre right here in this thread. It didn't exist before then.

Therefore, in a way, Dissensus invented rave. :cool:

tomfun

Is there a masterlist of all the records in the thread anywhere? (as in, has someone made one for themselves?) I bet i have a shit tonne of them just from generally picking them up if i spot them out and about, i usually pick up any breakbeat electro type thing that doesn't sound like big beat or new school breaks.

As I thinks been mentioned, its the lack of good contemporary mixes of this stuff (afaik) that's the real bummer. Maybe they never really happened? I haven't found any that cover the scope of this thread, a couple of Frankie Bones things but that's about it from this era. Tomfun said earlier in the thread that none of the djs in NY were playing it as far as he knew, it mostly got exported to the UK.

I think we must have invented this genre right here in this thread. It didn't exist before then.

Therefore, in a way, Dissensus invented rave. :cool:

You can find mixes from the early 90s from the west coast of djs mixing it up next to uk hardcore and trance and stuff, but i have yet to come across any real evidence of the stuff in this thread being played in any real volume in NYC. I would love to suddenly discover some treasure trove of mixtapes that disprove that theory.

David Morales seems to have touched on it at Red Zone a little bit, apparently he would play more breakbeat focused music there, alongside reggae, hip hop and obviously the house stuff he was more well known for. Not exactly creating a ravey vibe with it though, eh?

tomfun

Actually i may have inadvertently stopped one from being made. At the start of lockdown i challenged a dj friend of mine to battle me at making a mix in a style of music we both knew nothing about at all, and we picked "West Coast Breaks" cos it was very uncool/sort of a mystery to us both.

She spent a couple of days researching it and decided "It's just a bunch of hippies playing New York breakbeat and electro records by Frankie Bones and his chums" and had a big list of records by that lot, so i had to sort of change the rules so you had to have more than half of your mix using records actually from the West Coast.

I gave the mixes to some 90s djs from the scene to judge (didn't say which mix was which obviously)

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Actually i may have inadvertently stopped one from being made. At the start of lockdown i challenged a dj friend of mine to battle me at making a mix in a style of music we both knew nothing about at all, and we picked "West Coast Breaks" cos it was very uncool/sort of a mystery to us both.

She spent a couple of days researching it and decided "It's just a bunch of hippies playing New York breakbeat and electro records by Frankie Bones and his chums" and had a big list of records by that lot, so i had to sort of change the rules so you had to have more than half of your mix using records actually from the West Coast.

I gave the mixes to some 90s djs from the scene to judge (didn't say which mix was which obviously)

doing a bit of a discogs rummage starting with these and then typing a few names into mixesdb would probably get you somewhere

edit: blog link found on the blurb about #10 http://thelightofthenight.blogspot.com/2008/05/liquid-california.html

tomfun

doing a bit of a discogs rummage starting with these and then typing a few names into mixesdb would probably get you somewhere

edit: blog link found on the blurb about #10 http://thelightofthenight.blogspot.com/2008/05/liquid-california.html

Yeah, i think we both did this sort of thing. The Mixesdb trick is a good one, i try to get people to do that as well.

West Coast had Wicked's ex-pats (linked to Tonka here), plus Dubtribe

I didn't spot this interview, but i had made the Tonka connection via something else, maybe a Hardkiss interview or something. I think both our takeaways from it was that they played some cool UK and NYC records, and a few of their own records were not bad. The scene looked semi fun, but kinda lame and it all quickly turned into trance and got shit.

I bet it was fun in the early days, but by the late 90s it all looked like that "Small Town Ecstasy" doc from 2002 where the 40 year old dad starts going to raves, "taking X" with his children and torpedoes his entire life. (an amazing doc if you haven't seen it btw)

Here's where i hid the mixes for them to be judged if you wanna hear them, see if you can guess which one won.

The name is a private joke based on a time when i was helping book events for a nightclub, and i would have a weekly meeting with the bar that was linked to the venue. A woman from the bar would pitch the same event every week, which was a punk/heavy metal night (why would you put those two together?!) which she wanted to call "Zeitgeist" because "It literally translates to Time Ghost!"

Every week i would wait for her to say the exact same pitch and say the "Time Ghost!" bit with a big smile on her face.