sus

Yes the PUA stuff is a big confusion. I write about the clash of civilizations in James Cameron blockbuster Avatar. I write about the modern gods of WWE and MCU, and what their character builds and personal branding tells us about modern America. I write about how Pynchon's detective-noir trope became the hero-as-prophet of AMC's Lodge 49. I write about the history of the universe, and geological evolution, and the tendency of the world to complexify over time. I write about Lynn Margulis's counter-neo-Darwinist push for recognizing cooperation as life-making force. I write about how Ram Dass dropped out in India, and Ezra Pound charmed the panties off British socialites, and the symbolism of whales in Moby Dick, and the symbolism of pearls in Steinbeck's short fiction. I don't know where all this "PUA" stuff comes from. A thin slicing of my intellectual project. Provisional interests long-past.

mvuent

Void Dweller
read the "fool's gold" series a few days ago and really enjoyed it. i'm always very impressed by the spongelike absorbtion of all kinds of texts and ideas that seems to fuel these writing projects. i mean, it's not as if gus is some idiot who'll believe anything you tell him. quite the opposite, he's contrarian by nature, to a masochistic extent at times. yet he's also seemingly interested in everything and finds all sorts of important resonances between very disparate subjects. partly, i think, this stems from a suspicion that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

what's so compelling about his recent stuff—namely "leaving the garden", "primitive peacemakers", and the aforementioned "fool's gold"—is that you get a kind of grappling with or meditation on the long term effect of this "yes, and..." mode of intellectual existence: the infinite complexity of the world looms larger and larger. and so the metaphor of water as the untamable, constantly shifting nature of life appears repeatedly, with slightly different answers entertained each time: building a walled garden with a stream running through it, building a bridge between islands, surfing vs staying grounded, etc.

(of course, having a consistent image for the inconsistency of the world is somewhat ironic, so i also really like how the end of "fool's gold" acknowledges the sort of labyrinthine quality the writing itself has taken on, which i first felt with "leaving the garden", and simply accepts it.)

craner

Beast of Burden
read the "fool's gold" series a few days ago and really enjoyed it. i'm always very impressed by the spongelike absorbtion of all kinds of texts and ideas that seems to fuel these writing projects. i mean, it's not as if gus is some idiot who'll believe anything you tell him. quite the opposite, he's contrarian by nature, to a masochistic extent at times. yet he's also seemingly interested in everything and finds all sorts of important resonances between very disparate subjects. partly, i think, this stems from a suspicion that you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.

what's so compelling about his recent stuff—namely "leaving the garden", "primitive peacemakers", and the aforementioned "fool's gold"—is that you get a kind of grappling with or meditation on the long term effect of this "yes, and..." mode of intellectual existence: the infinite complexity of the world looms larger and larger. and so the metaphor of water as the untamable, constantly shifting nature of life appears repeatedly, with slightly different answers entertained each time: building a walled garden with a stream running through it, building a bridge between islands, surfing vs staying grounded, etc.

(of course, having a consistent image for the inconsistency of the world is somewhat ironic, so i also really like how the end of "fool's gold" acknowledges the sort of labyrinthine quality the writing itself has taken on, which i first felt with "leaving the garden", and simply accepts it.)

How would you define his project? Both as he sees it, and how you see it.

sus

Mvuent, this analysis made my day. Nobody's ever read me at this deep a level of intentionality and coherence. It's beautiful and makes me feel all fuzzy and warm. Seeing your own messy chaotic life made into a poem, a portrait.

Craner, I'm not claiming my stuff is special, but you can't possibly have gotten to middle age still believing that "the system" reliably separates wheat from chaff. After all, this would be quite a self-neg to your own work. Or is this how you cope? Craner I hate to break it to you but it's simultaneously true that your writing is excellent and that you're not famous for it.

woops

is not like other people
some have referred to the "curse of dissensus", though it may be less fanciful to say that as soon as people attain a modicum of success they stop posting on dissensus.

honourable exception @blissblogger of course

sus

I am litterally an international criminal artist who makes thousands of dollars every month
Linebaugh, what do you listen to while drawing? I find I can't do serious literature as audiobook, takes too much concentration to follow. Need something simultaneously mindless and stimulating.

sus

I'm not sure if Craner's asking an xor question here, or an and-or, but yes Craner, I think I have concepts and themes

craner

Beast of Burden
Surely these things aren't mutually exclusive, like success and dissensus activity, right?

Maybe not. Some people have subjects, some have concepts and some have themes. Some have a mix, some have all. I don't think he has subjects. Maybe he has themes, or concepts, or both. I wondered if he knew, and knew what they were.

• Wow
Reactions: sus

version

tenor.gif