WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

that is literally what makes me vomit about baked beans.

English lit a-level teacher called mrs. Woodridge wanting her partner to rub it all over her body, genitalia and feet as foreplay. the sauce, dear lord the sauce and how it will stick to her body as muck that needs to be scrubbed off excessively in the shower. gag.

There was a Tiswas sketch with people getting repeatedly covered in beans, but I can’t find a clip. Not pleasant.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I don't think the path is directly South Park to Pepe Memes but I think that what South Park etc contributed to was the lack of empathy that is endemic to what the contemporary far-right seems based on. The freedom to be prejudiced and bigoted against Othered identities, "I don't give a fuck about them and their rights or struggles"
OK, granted, there may be something in that. (But, as you've said, perhaps not intentionally on the shows creators' part, in that it ended up being watched by kids younger than the intended audience, who idolized Cartman rather than seeing him for the sociopathic little shit he is.)

constant escape

winter withered, warm
OK, granted, there may be something in that. (But, as you've said, perhaps not intentionally on the shows creators' part, in that it ended up being watched by kids younger than the intended audience, who idolized Cartman rather than seeing him for the sociopathic little shit he is.)
Well put - that could be the crux. And the point made by @padraig (u.s.) about cartman/stan/kyle as id/ego/superego is also a novel idea for me.

boxedjoy

Yeah I don't think the intent was there, I think it was just consumed in one way by a certain type of audience. Not a cause-and-effect situation, more that it tapped into something in the air and reinforced it

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
"Infinite sperm. You sit on the toilet to jerk off, but you start to play uncontrollably. After ten shocks, you worry. Your hand is sticky and sent the sperm. You desperately put your bite into a wad of toilet paper, but that only blesses the balls. The sperm accelerates. It's been three minutes. You can't stop coming. The bottom of your bathroom is covered with a thin layer of baby liquid. They try to play in the shower drain, but it accumulates too quickly. You try the toilet. The sperm is too thick to wash off. They lock the bathroom door to prevent the sperm from escaping. The air becomes hot and humid due to the sperm. The sperm accelerates. You slip and fall into your own sperm. The sperm is now six inches deep, almost as long as your still erect bite. Spread out on your back, you start to get all over the blanket. Drops of sticky white liquid start to drop like raindrops and give you a facial with your own sperm. The sperm accelerates. You struggle to stand upright while the power of the seed pushes you back as if you were on a bukkake slip-and-slide topic. The sperm is still on his knees, still on his knees. Open the bathroom door to avoid drowning. The flood of human juice is reminiscent of the great molasses flood of 1919, only with sperm instead of molasses. The sperm accelerates. It's been 2 hours. Your children and your wife scream in fear as their bodies are surrounded by snow-white mud. Her youngest child sinks, with slimy blisters and muffled screams that come from the goose bumps. You are begging God to end your suffering. The sperm accelerates. You squeeze your bite to stop the sperm, but it comes out of your asshole instead. Price let go. The power of the seed tears your urethra, leaving only a gaping hole in your crotch that spits out sperm. Your body picks up speed by sliding backwards along the seed. You smash the wall, you run to the sky at thirty miles an hour. From a bird's eye view, you can see that your house is completely white. Your neighbor calls the police. The sperm accelerates. As you continue to drive up, you'll see some police cars heading towards your house. The cops take out their guns and aim, but tons of sperm hit them in the eyes and blind them. The sperm accelerates. You are now at 1000 feet. The SWAT team arrives. Military helicopters surround you. Hundreds of bullets go through your body at the same time, but you remain conscientious. Your testicles have now become a replacement brain. The sperm accelerates. It's been two days. Now that your body is destroyed, the sperm begins to spray in all directions. They break through the sound barrier. The government uses fighter jets to hunt you down, but your seed's impact sends an affected plane to the ground. The government decides to let you go. You feel your gonads start to burn when you reach the edges of the atmosphere. You barely miss the ISS and give it a new coat of white when you hover over it. Physicists have a hard time calculating your irregular trajectory. The sperm accelerates. The sperm begins to move towards itself and forms a comet trail of sperm. Astronomers are starting to call you the "Cummet". They are stuck in space forever, without bodies and senses, forced to endure an eternity of ejaculations.
Finally stop thinking ..."

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What did Bordiga bring to the table? Only somewhat familiar with Gramsci, not at all with Bordiga.

Gramsci was a dumbing down and idiotification of the complexity of Bordiga.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
keep telling @luka to read this, it's like Ben Watson deciding not to go to Oxford and taking too much speed.

For Croce aesthetics is the kernel, for us, the shell.
«Aesthetics, by demonstrating that aesthetic activity or art is a form of spirituality, a value, a category, or whatever you want to call it, and not (as theoreticians of various schools believe) an empirical concept related to certain orders of utilitarian or hybrid facts, has, by establishing the autonomy of aesthetic value, likewise demonstrated that it is predicated with powers of special judgement, aesthetic judgement, and that it is a subject of history, of a special history, the history of poetry and the arts, artistic-literary historiography».
The antithesis is posed, it seems to us, clearly and insuperably. You can’t consider yourself a Marxist unless you treat Art in the same way as Technology and Economy, and therefore as a part of political history. Incidentally the Greeks use the word teknè to mean Art and they knew a thing or two about it.
We reject the autonomy of the concept of beauty, which after Kant discovered it is irrevocable according to Croce, just as we reject the autonomy and universality of the concept of justice, in respect to individual interest and even with respect to reason. And down the same path we conduct the concepts of beauty and justice, from the absolute to the relative, from the universal to the contingent, from an autonomous existence to one strictly dependent on material conditions and particular interests. To render this service to law and not to art is neither Marxism nor Kantianism, but just total autonomous rubbish.
This question is totally bound up with the question of geniuses and exceptional individuals.
In a brief passage in the previous Filo del tempo article we showed that the leader’s function in the social community is related to the practical necessity of transmitting knowledge, derived from hard-won and constantly broadening experience, from one generation to another; from the grown-up adult members of the community to children and adolescents. We recalled that the most immediate form of leadership was the matriarchy, and that at a later stage, when hunting and war came to predominate, it would be the strongest men and those most skilled in the use of weapons who would lead. As rules and labour ‘secrets’ came to assume importance, the power of the brain would begin to predominate over muscle power. Tradition can be transmitted by memory and by memory alone; the wizard, the priest and the wise man take centre stage. Gradually the sum of common capacities required for production becomes more and more complex and the task of transmitting it becomes much more difficult: soon it becomes so difficult that it is beyond the capacity of one set of arms, or one brain. We also noted how language, the articulated word, had formed the first means of passing on information, traditionally one of the resources which clearly separates the ‘sapient’ species from the purely animal, by commencing at the same time to make this ‘handing over’ more collective. Other significant methods of transmission soon occur, allowing what could no longer be contained in one head to be preserved and passed on. Writing is the most important of these, and thus the colossal effort involved in memorising would be reduced to a minimum. Many other expedients would follow, all with a levelling effect, all of them undermining the need for ‘exceptional individuals’ in the resolution of the problems of communal life. Already we have machines that think and reason better than the average man.
At this point it is worth going back a bit, to just before writing and just after language; back to music, which although seemingly a realm of transcendence and absolutes is in fact born as a practical and utilitarian expedient, born not as an isolated flight of fancy from a particular brain but from the practice of collective mnemonics.

Word and Song

The German writer Thomas Mann, today a champion of democratic conformism, is correctly remembered as a forerunner, in the time of Wilhelm II, of the Hitlerian doctrines of the national mission of the people and of the German Reich. His pronouncement made forty years ago, about Germany needing a world history such as Spain, France and England had had, wouldn’t have seemed so crazy if not for its lateness with respect to the era in which Marx and Engels castigated the German bourgeoisie for its ignominious absence from the historical scene and the tortuous path it had taken to achieve its national State a century ago. But what interests us is the counter-posing in Mann’s thought of the values, as Croce would say, of the German and Western spirits. Then Mann was lashing out against the “Zivilisation” that he today admires in the pro-American camp, and contrasting it with German kultur. For him the latter was not only anti-western and anti-democratic, but anti-authoritarian and anti-literary too. Germany was a land that was unliterarisches, wortlos, nicht vortliebend – enemy of the word and prose. German profundity sought expression not in the banalities of chatter, but in metaphysics, poetry and above all in music, the art that speaks to man without words.
If it is true that music has an ultra-national expression, it is no less true that it came into being as a vehicle for words, and words in their turn came into being as vehicles for the rules connected with work, with technology. Therefore art isn’t the mode of expression, of communication, but the actual content of the communication, of the expression.
Thus the natural and historical road was: uniform rules governing life and work, music, song, poetry; much, much later came words and prose. Mann, as the barbaric apologist for the illiterate Arminius (Hermann) who crushed the legions of the refined Varus in the forest of Teutoburg, was much nearer the mark than today’s chooser of liberty against the excesses which in 1914 he called ‘revolutionary’, such as the tearing up of treaties; texts which would certainly be difficult to set to music.
Since the first constitutions couldn’t be written down or inscribed in monumental stonework they were transmitted word for word by memory. Mnemonic requirements meant they would be drawn up in verse form; only in legend does one person write them when in fact they distil common wisdom and practice.
The Poet, who today writes and publishes, used to just sing. Then the Poet was not one individual but rather the community, and whoever was unable to chant the verses had no other way of preserving the data of his or her life; civilizing prose has led to bank-accounts, achievable by any cynical boor. But back then we sowed, and reaped, and were married, and were born, to the chanting of given rhythms which everyone knew, because the collective memory preserved the words and the musical motif. The idea of committing the non-rhyming word to memory is something that comes after writing.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Music sticks in the mind for mechanical and physical reasons. Rhythm is number, the exact measure of time. Tonality and harmony arise from rigid mathematical proportions existing between the number of vibrations hitting the ear. The ear is the first measuring instrument used by man: the eye, qualitatively so much richer, is quantitatively subject to glaring errors.
The practical fact is, thanks to the musical nature of choral chanting it first became possible to transmit and teach rules to a collectivity, and so consolidate the victory of the latter with respect to the life of brutes: productive art. Humanity sang in order to live, not for enjoyment, nor to discover an absolute and “useless” pleasure such as Kant claimed to have discovered. It was the one means that responded to this utilitarian aim: of keeping the species but the collective memory alive and developing its potential when no other archive existed.
Is this just some lucubration, some novelty, dreamt up by ourselves? In fact it’s an idea that has been around for three thousand years. In Greek mythology, the nine muses are the children of Mnemosine, the goddess of memory.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
When I think back to being at school when South Park and Eminem and Jackass came out, it strikes me that being into politics at that point was about the uncoolest thing imaginable.

And now it seems like it's cool for young people to be into politics. (Or is this just twitter?)

For my generation (may I be so bold) being "woke" was being awake to the fact that politics was all a big con job and you'd be an idiot to think it had any value whatsoever.

I suppose you'd be anti Bush, anti Blair, anti whoever else. The basic belief was that ANYONE who put themselves on that pedestal was self interested, self righteous and worst of all boring. This is the south park attitude (shit sandwich Vs whatever it was).

That was the era of "spin" of course, and maybe that helped create that feeling of politics being mutton dressed as lamb.

I've often wrestled (cursorily) with my more or less complete apathy in the face of politics, and thought it must be down to my essentially self involved character. I still think that's true, but perhaps it was something in the pre millenial (pre internet) air.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
When I think back to being at school when South Park and Eminem and Jackass came out, it strikes me that being into politics at that point was about the uncoolest thing imaginable.

And now it seems like it's cool for young people to be into politics. (Or is this just twitter?)

For my generation (may I be so bold) being "woke" was being awake to the fact that politics was all a big con job and you'd be an idiot to think it had any value whatsoever.

I suppose you'd be anti Bush, anti Blair, anti whoever else. The basic belief was that ANYONE who put themselves on that pedestal was self interested, self righteous and worst of all boring. This is the south park attitude (shit sandwich Vs whatever it was).

That was the era of "spin" of course, and maybe that helped create that feeling of politics being mutton dressed as lamb.

I've often wrestled (cursorily) with my more or less complete apathy in the face of politics, and thought it must be down to my essentially self involved character. I still think that's true, but perhaps it was something in the pre millenial (pre internet) air.

it's just twatter. politics more than ever has no social base to rely on. even the right is in a process of social decomposition. why be morally conservative when the conservatives become social liberals after making enough money? Unless, of course, you're a masochist. which some people are, but then their politics are sheer impotent aesthetics.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
"Engels concludes his ridiculing of Carlyle by rejecting his theory of the Noble and the Abject which becomes exasperating in its mania for finding extremes, the peaks of the one and the other. The Noble will eliminate the ignoble, the Noblest of the Noble will hang the most villainous of the villains, and so on until only Carlyle remains who has to hang himself.
A dialectical joke, and certainly an apt response to Carlyle’s idiotic doctrine of the historical Criminal."