DannyL

Wild Horses
Thanks!
I found this re. Mark and accelerationism: He was into it, but it's had left and right recensions.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I watched the film “The Red Pill” recently which apparently has magickal powers to turn people into alt-right men’s rights activists. Disappointingly it didn’t appear to work on me.
It's a powerful and frightening idea but really it can't be that someone will just watch a film and then become pro-Brexit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
we got a 5 day, 40 hour week, albeit thats been eroded. theres workplace protections. there's unfiar dismisal laws. work safety laws. huge amount of reform which has saved lives.
There's (at least two) distinct levels of discourse. There's the rarefied one that philosophers, thinkers, theorists and so on use, and there is a much more boring simple one that relates to actual real life stuff. Disappointed that making this point is what's made you stoop to the latter for the first time ever.

version

L5AeNi9.jpg

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
we got a 5 day, 40 hour week, albeit thats been eroded. theres workplace protections. there's unfiar dismisal laws. work safety laws. huge amount of reform which has saved lives
that's all true, but rather than being eradicated the nastiness has mostly just been outsourced, be it places with laxer/no protections and more desperate work forces or internally to pools of precarious undocumented immigrant labor. in either case someone is still stuck doing it, often in awful conditions - the people who make our phones, clothing, harvest much of our food, etc.

padraig (u.s.)

which I mean, is no secret

it's not to say that that definitively proves reforming capitalism is impossible

but it is to say that if you're going to cite reforms you have to make that qualification

version

I think this thread's just Luka putting the feelers out to see how people would react to hearing he's gone full alt-right. He's read too much Ezra Pound. Watched too much Peter Hitchens.

padraig (u.s.)

I do think it's a real question if there's a version of capitalism that doesn't rely on huge numbers of people toiling in abject misery

be it the indigenous people of the Americas, African slaves, Victorian factory workers, colonial subjects, or segments of today's 3rd world labor force

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Look at this

Fascism and the occulture
After the trauma of defeat in World War One and the despair of the depression [think Iraq War and 2008 financial crisis], Germany experienced a big occult revival. Germans turned to magical solutions for their problems, and that brought the ‘occulture’ into the mainstream.

The occulture is a sort of petri-dish of magical and alternative ideas — alternative medicine, eclectic spirituality, nature-mysticism and ecology, magic, drugs, conspiracy theories and — sometimes — radical politics. The occulture is by no means all bad (I’m a part of it) but it can be a breeding ground for millenarian and sometimes extremist politics.

linebaugh

I was talking with a friend about a group of kids from our hometown who were very smart (or at least, went off to get STEM degrees from good colleges) but apparently adamant Trump supporters in 2016. As far as we knew they had never shown any political inclination prior. He was surprised that even considering the current tumult and the past four years of instability, these same kids were now doubling down on their Trump support. I thought with regards to the ostensibly smart-yet-apathetic Trump supporters, a vote for Trump is an accelerationist ploy, whether they are aware of the term or not, and the state of things wouldn't dissuade their support, as that was in some abstract sense what they wanted. He didn't buy that, but I thought it was on.

Last edited:

entertainment

It's my impression that the alt-right is thoroughly a reactive movement. Or negative, in terms of defining themselves in opposition, whereas the neoconservatives actually have ideals and principles