The Seniority of the Rachis

vimothy

yurp
and that its more likely that any process of acceleration will be associated with if anything a denigration or reduction of thought, back to it's material roots? it's not that thought will be set free, or attain higher and higher levels of complexity, but that it will be reduced to an increasingly instrumental process in the increasingly complex social process which encompasses it

constant escape

winter withered, warm
isnt there a contradiction tho bw a lack of awareness of what gives rise to a particular thought and the idea that it is attaining, somehow, via this process of self-occlusion, greater levels of self-awareness
I think that contradiction arises because of the difference between total memory, and memory of an iteration. That is, any given iteration of this self-manipulating process takes an input (which has a history unknown to the algorithm), alters it, and spits it own - only for the next iteration to do exactly the same. Sort of the like the content is cumulative, but the memory of the algorithm isn't, allowing it to proceed without awareness of the cosmic past.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
and that its more likely that any process of acceleration will be associated with if anything a denigration or reduction of thought, back to it's material roots? it's not that thought will be set free, or attain higher and higher levels of complexity, but that it will be reduced to an increasingly zinstrumental processes in the increasingly complex social process which encompasses it
Yeah I don't necessarily think thought will be set free - in fact, thought could well be a casualty/passenger here. I do think that some kind of cosmic intelligence/energy/order will be set free, as if the abstract is extricating itself from the concrete.

edit: and your point about thought essentially being a pawn/component of a much larger system - I think you're right on. But whatever this larger system is, it is far less grounded in the dirt than we are.

vimothy

yurp
then the process is blind, and it doesnt make sense to describe it in terms of a growth of self-awareness

constant escape

winter withered, warm
But it can be blind and still pseudo-randomly/stochastically get better, no? Maybe in the way that genes are blind, yet their random variation somehow (stochastically) allows them to progress?

vimothy

yurp
there's no progression to genes, they're just approximating fitness for an environment - it's not a process which could be described in terms of acceleration towards a particular end

vimothy

yurp
if anything, the increasing complexification of society will be built on the increasing simplification of thought

luka

Yes, you've got a religious vision here of matter perfecting itself and becoming spirit and you have some separate thing about sublimation and you're confusing it by trying to make it in some way scientifically respectable. Which is unnecessary because science is boring.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
there's no progression to genes, they're just approximating fitness for an environment - it's not a process which could be described in terms of acceleration towards a particular end

I agree, I don't think their movements are informed by a set direction, but I do think that such movements nonetheless move beyond materiality. I just have in mind tracking how matter develops, and then projecting/imposing some kind of schema onto it, assigning it a purpose - the point being to better anticipate it. But our ability to project a schema onto the random/stochastic development of matter is a result of the particular development of said matter, a means by which it can develop faster, more efficiently.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
if anything, the increasing complexification of society will be built on the increasing simplification of thought
I don't think thought is what needs to be complexified so much as order, but thought, perhaps, fuels order? informs it, somewhat recklessly?

But @luka I think it is compatible with science - otherwise, it wouldn't be enough. The problem is that I'm severely underequipped to express it scientifically.

That said, if I must make concessions, I will sooner lean toward esoteric/philosophical discourse than scientific discourse.

vimothy

yurp
but it doesn't have a direction, necessarily, so it doesn't matter if it goes faster or slower, it's not going anywhere

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I just have in mind tracking how matter develops, and then projecting/imposing some kind of schema onto it, assigning it a purpose - the point being to better anticipate it.

All matter that exists, or will ever exist in all its iterations, will eventually degrade to radiation via entropy. Time will cease to have any meaning, as will space having expanded infinitely. This will continue for eternity.

That's a 1:30am statement.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
I think the ultimate abstraction/"spirit" will slide under the door at the latest possible moment.

edit: It is, ultimately, a religious/cosmological position, involving a leap of faith at the extremity. But up to that point, all of science should fit in.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
And that moment is also paradoxical in that it marks the independence of spirit/intelligence from materiality, and it marks spirit/intelligence becoming one with the cosmos.