Educate Spendy on the ghost of Dissensus past

sus

I hear you all know a thing or two about grime and jungle. Assume I know nothing about anything played in clubs between 1990 and 2010. What do I have to listen to? What are the essentials? What was Diss on about in 2004, 2005?

mvuent

Void Dweller
after reading energy flash i decided to go through all the genres it covers in chronological order, basically year by year, so like mid 80s chicago house to 2step. it's the most pedantic way i've ever engaged with music, but has been extremely worthwhile. very exciting to get used to things sounding a certain way and then hear them evolve--with that happening over and over quite rapidly, especially with the breaks-based music between 1990 and 1994. rn i'm on... 95 i guess?

before that i tried the same thing with some mid 2000s dubstep label. but after hearing this i decided all that shit pales in comparison:

luka

mvuent is a Serious Character, to use an Ezra Poundism, and most people aren't so unless you've got the moral fibre, the energy, the intellectual ambition and integrity mvuent's got you're probably not going to do what he did but i do think it's helpful to get some sense of chronology and also a sense of how the music was consumed at the time. so less time grazing on youtubes of individual songs untethered from context and more with the mixes from the time, from pirate radio and from rave tape packs. avoid all modern retrospective mixes.

Last edited:

woops

is not like other people
yes i was just about to say you're going to have to get your head round some grime and the best way to do that is to listen to a really good radio set. this one did the trick for me.

more tunes than i could ever ID, loads of the top MCs and wicked moments and funny bits