padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
9/11 was a shattering event without doubt, with huge longer-term implications

but of itself it was an essentially isolated event that killed 3000 people, and despite sharp disagreement about what caused it and how to respond, the country was basically united in grief

rn we're in the middle of a pandemic that has already killed over 200,000 Americans with no end in sight, the economy is a fucking wreck, faith in public insitutions is basically zero, the country is as divided as its been arguably since the 1850s, civil order is deteriorating to a level unseen in half a century, etc

I'd say 2020 has been much, much worse

padraig (u.s.)

I just remember 2001 very clearly and the sense of total disintegration was very brief

followed by months of lesser anxiety admittedly but nothing like this

we thought we were so divided back then, and later over Iraq, but compared to this the atmosphere was positively collegial

pretty sure you'd have to go back to the late 60s to find a time with a comparable feeling of looming societal collapse

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

it's no coincidence that every time America threatens to tear itself apart - 1850s, 1960s, now - the key issue is race

this time it's happening in parallel with the worst pandemic in 100 years and on the watch of arguably the worst President in American history

padraig (u.s.)

the last time a contender for worst President in America history oversaw race tearing America apart we got the Civil War

craner

Beast of Burden
Are you talking about James Buchanan?

I've wondered about parallels between Andrew Johnson and Trump. Johnson was almost impeached and precipitated a constitutional crisis that almost broke apart the federal system.

padraig (u.s.)

Are you talking about James Buchanan?
yeah Buchanan

people made Johnson-Trump comparisons during the impeachment

idk about Reconstruction enough to really speak with authority but - personally Trump seems more like Johnson

imperious, extremely poor understanding of - as well as in Trump's case actively not caring about - the limits that constrain a President

but the historical moment Trump is in more like Buchanan's - nation on the verge of falling apart rather, vs recovery mode from falling apart

craner

Beast of Burden
yeah Buchanan

people made Johnson-Trump comparisons during the impeachment

idk about Reconstruction enough to really speak with authority but - personally Trump seems more like Johnson

imperious and with extremely poor understanding of the limits that constrain a President, tho Trump also actively doesn't care

but the historical moment Trump is in more like Buchanan's - nation on the verge of falling apart rather, vs recovery mode from falling apart

Yeah, I was thinking about the intransigence, the disregard for political norms, the attempt to assert the authority of the presidency and pandering to racist interests. The context is a good point. I mean, these sorts of comparisons are probably pointless anyway.

padraig (u.s.)

the contextual point does matter because "political norms" were already in upheaval when Johnson came into office

or, they were just beginning to settle down after a decade plus of disintegration and half a decade of open civil war

you might compare it to English Parliament in the late 1640s trying to reestablish some kind of normality in the wake of the English Civil War

Congress did succeed where Parliament failed but only by making a devil's bargain over Reconstruction

padraig (u.s.)

that's American history in a nutshell of course, repeated devil's bargains to put off settling the bill for racial inequality

and here we are, with all the accrued interest from all those stupid, short-sighted bargains

IdleRich

IdleRich
Mr. President I'm literally sitting here crying and throwing up at this news. You are the bravest man I have ever seen. I named my first son Donald after you. If anything happened to you I don't know what I would do. Thank you for ending racism
Message being spontaneously shared by thousands of accounts.

Leo

for the conspiracy thread: it's a fake illness (allowing plausible excuse for getting out of the remaining debates and distracting from the NY Times tax story), from which he will summon his extremely superior strength and alpha maleness to miraculously beat COVID down and rally a surge of patriotic support for Dear Leader to a triumphant reelection.