Leo

For the diehards, Axios doing their Off the Rails series of five-minute reads

Episode 1: https://www.axios.com/trump-election-premeditated-lie-ebaf4a1f-46bf-4c37-ba0d-3ed5536ef537.html

2: https://www.axios.com/trump-lawyers-biden-election-victory-debf79bc-750b-457b-a736-789b501d62a7.html

3: https://www.axios.com/trump-off-the...ess-fd169833-9052-473d-87f5-7a1a4ffffb8f.html

4: https://www.axios.com/trump-barr-re...ils-b33b3788-e7e9-47fa-84c5-3a0016559eb5.html

Lots of great scenes, like these exchanges in episode 4 with Barr

RE: sending troops to Portland:

Trump grew more and more frustrated, but Barr pushed back harder, standing his ground in front of everyone in the room. He was ready, willing and able to be strong, he said. But, he added, we also have to be thoughtful. What would these soldiers do, Barr pointed out. Just stand around and get yelled at? Trump didn't care. We look weak and this is hurting us, he ranted. Then he slammed his hand on the Resolute Desk.

"No one supports me," Trump yelled. "No one gives me any fucking support.”

Trump got up and stormed out of the Oval Office to his private dining room, leaving Barr and the others behind. Barr glanced over at a red-faced White House chief of staff, Mark Meadows, and joked, "Well that went well.”

RE: allegations of election fraud

"These things aren't panning out," Barr told the president, standing beside his chief of staff Will Levi. “The stuff that these people are filling your ear with just isn’t true.” Barr explained that if Trump wanted to contest the election results, the president's internal campaign lawyers would have to do it. The Justice Department, he continued, had looked at the major fraud allegations that Trump's lawyers had leveled. "It's just bullshit," Barr told the president. Cipollone backed up Barr by saying the DOJ was investigating these claims.

Trump pointed at the TV and asked if Barr had been watching the hearing. Barr said he hadn't. "Maybe you should," the president said. Barr reiterated that the Justice Department was not ignoring the allegations, but that Trump's outside lawyers were doing a terrible job.

"I'm a pretty informed legal observer and I can't fucking figure out what the theory is here," he added. "It's just scattershot. It's all over the hill and gone.”

"Maybe," Trump said. “Maybe."

Leo

from episode 3

President Trump was sitting in the Oval Office one day in late November when a call came in from lawyer Sidney Powell. "Ugh, Sidney," he told the staff in the room before he picked up. "She's getting a little crazy, isn't she? She's really gotta tone it down. No one believes this stuff. It's just too much."

He put the call on speakerphone for the benefit of his audience. Powell was raving about a national security crisis involving the Iranians flipping votes in battleground states. Trump pressed mute and laughed mockingly.

"So what are we gonna do about it, Sidney?" Trump would say every few seconds, whipping Powell more and more into a frenzy. He was having fun with it. "She really is crazy, huh?" he said, again with his finger on the mute button.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm sure that we have been over this before but as you know there is no perhaps about it being tainted. It is tainted with anti-semitism.

Also I know that you think conspiracy theories are all fun and japes and nothing to get worked up about but using "Globalists" rather than focussing on international capitalism or something more systematic just makes this worse. "Globalists" embodies it in people.

I doubt we will agree on this and you will no doubt tell me to roll up a fat one and chill out Dad, but I just didn't think it could go unremarked on for my own conscience.

It's worse than that. The globalist vs localist dichotomy posits that your demagogues like Trump and Orban are somehow anti-capitalist, or anti-neoliberal. It's as bad as the people who take fascists at their word and don't see that they are a wholly modernist movement, but from the far right. Fascists are never real reactionaries, those are demotists, monarchists and pre-1648 nostalgists of sorts.

Lucius hang your head in shame.

Also that Slabodian guy is using globalists in a totally different sense to refer to a certain constellation of thinkers, not a puppeteer elite or whatever.

Either way, the german-derived term ortoliberalism is better than both 'neoliberalism' and 'globalism.'

Because it indicates two central tenets of neoliberalism, aka. Ordered liberalism: The Strong State (zombie machine) and the free economy.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm going to start using globalists again then

You can but its pretty meaningless. all capitalism is globalist. You can't say Trump is a reaction against globalists. Trump is just a pseudo-opposition. The opposition that a close system internally self-generates. Bit like how my mate was telling me how Putin goes and tells the (self-sanctioned) commies in russia to oppose him harder so that he is seen to be keeping a necessary polarisation alive to renew his appeal. I'll bribe you to be seen to oppose me.

Last edited:

luka

But the idea of controlled opposition is very big in conspiracy stuff, I'm really into that.

luka

People talk about the evil genius Surkov funding every point on the political spectrum but that's been standard practice in America forever. Eg The Ford Foundation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yes, that's exactly what the conspiracists say

No, I'm arguing their theories are crude and integrated into the system. There is no conspiracy. everything is working how it should be. this is called exploitation. The world has never been so mundane.