Context Collapse

sus

Right, dematerialization stuff, "the web before the web" stuff (see also Infinite Jest)

Oh man I'm glad this board loves Dick, I just finished re-reading Ubik, so damn good

version

I've only read one of his and thought it was terrible, but plan to read more and the ideas certainly aren't terrible.

version

Deleuze probably deserves a mention re: a Dissensus canon, even though most of us haven't read him. Nick Land. J. H. Prynne.

sus

We should get a Valis book club going that's the one I've been dying to read, mates keep reccing it

version

Music's where we all have the most overlap, I'd say. We don't really talk theorists or philosophers at all. There's no established film canon. Books is usually just me and Luka going back and forth on Pynchon, Burroughs, Prynne, Joyce, Pound etc.
Maybe these impressions are due less to unanimity and more to the persuasiveness of fewer, closer advocates. I think someone pointed out that @version is the primary Pynchon guy - and yet that does not mean the forum can't lie in such-and-such vein of influence.
This is key, imo. Don't mistake me and Luka going on about certain writers a lot for the whole board being influenced by or even into them. We just make a lot of threads and a lot of noise.

• Haha
Reactions: sus

constant escape

winter withered, warm
But by extension, those who have been around longer and/or who make more noise could very well impact the board, shifting the sympathies and tastes of other members.

Newer members would enter the stage where conversations about so-and-so take up regular bandwidth and flare up with heightened energy or lucidity, and they might knowingly or unknowingly take up similar tastes, no?

But yeah I wanted to make that distinction between general taste and the taste of an outspoken few.

luka

this 'poem' is interesting in the way the terrible music version gets us to listen to sometimes is interesting. It gives you a sense of what the state of play is, the kind of common mistakes people are making, how they are acting out their creative and social impotence

luka

I was thinking about it after I'd gone to bed at night. I thiughthough, what is that voice, I know the voice he's naively internalised and reproduced. I recognise it. It's very of the moment.

luka

I used the TEd talk reference, which is fine, but more than that it is a YouTube phenomenon. It's those YouTubes where someone is explaining something to you in colloquial language, in a friendly, gentle way so you don't get intimidated or put off.

It's part of the TEd talk phenomenon in the sense that it is a way for people to feel like they are learning and engaging in self improvement without having to put any actual effort in, without having to think or struggle.

luka

It's like the fantasy of a tape running on a loop while you are asleep and once you wake up you can speak Russian, or understand Hegel.

luka

I've read all of Ballard and I like it very much. But he's been talked to death over the last twenty years.

Reactions: sus

luka

jungle music has been the only real common ground over the years and that is collapsing now the further we get from 1994.

but jungle is what me and padraig and reynolds and barty and droid and HMG and all sorts of disparate and occasionally bickering parties have in common.

sus

jungle music has been the only real common ground over the years and that is collapsing now the further we get from 1994.

but jungle is what me and padraig and reynolds and barty and droid and HMG and all sorts of disparate and occasionally bickering parties have in common.

What’s the jungle canon?