class prostheses

Leo

My brother once told a salesman in Harrods that something very expensive was 'somewhat below his price range' - got a good reaction, especially as he was dressed in his standard hobo gear.

years ago, I'd go into expensive men's stores, sometimes in shorts and a t-shirt and other times in a suit, and get treated totally differently by the sales staff. but in the last 10 years or so, the internet boom has made it such that it's not uncommon that a slobby looking guy is actually a millionaire and can certainly afford those $1,200 shoes he's looking at.

Leo

slobby looking guy is actually a millionaire and can certainly afford those $1,200 shoes he's looking at.

also: hiphop dudes. 20 years ago, some sales staff would have called security if they came in. now they sell them all the Gucci.

catalog

I once got up sold this stupid natural soap in body shop, basically pieces off grit you had to massage into a ball and then make a really feeble lather with.

version

Serious answer. I just put generic moisturiser on my face every few days. I'm not like Cristiano Ronaldo or something.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
years ago, I'd go into expensive men's stores, sometimes in shorts and a t-shirt and other times in a suit, and get treated totally differently by the sales staff.
not just tech

there's a line in The Big Short (book, not in movie iirc) about how you can tell exactly what someone does in the financial world by how they dress

ibankers all wear bespoke suits, but hedge fund etc guys dress casually specifically to give the impression they don't care about things like bespoke suits

granted we're probably talking about expensive business casual rather than hoodie and jeans but same idea

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yeah, and then they go out and buy a Basquiat. or a major league baseball team
or just combine both, like that asshole that used to own the Marlins

even by the extremely low standards of sports franchise owners, a real piece of work (Jeffrey Loria, look him up)

you may remember a minor near-scandal - lost in the wash of major actual scandals - a few years ago when he was going to sell the Marlins to Jared Kushner in return for being made the ambassador to France, a nifty worldbuilding detail of "we live in a simulation of the worst possible timeline" convergence

sus

I've caught myself speaking differently at the local Italian deli, run by this old couple who speak passable English. it's unconscious, probably don't want to come off as posh or a yuppie. but it's also condescending, as if I have to be more rudimentary in order for them to understand. I don't feel good about it when I catch myself doing it.

Is it condescending or just helpful?

I guess I ask because having lived abroad in Mexico with rudimentary Spanish, I'm positive I get talked to regularly in childlike diction, but it's hard to even tell how much it's happening, like I'd really have to overhear other conversations and compare, and even if I did know, I feel like I'm glad that humans do this naturally to help bridge communication gaps. I just feel like you shouldn't feel guilty for this kinda thing; there's a fact of the matter which is that the owners speak meaningfully poorer English than fluent. I know it's tied up with a lot of sensitive topics like immigration and race, but is it actually bad or does is just feel like stepping near a minefield?

Reactions: Leo

sus

(I've had this feeling too, and have seen it in family/friends who also feel weird about it/don't know what to do, so I'm not picking on you, it seems semi-universal!)

Reactions: Leo

Leo

or just combine both, like that asshole that used to own the Marlins

even by the extremely low standards of sports franchise owners, a real piece of work (Jeffrey Loria, look him up)

you may remember a minor near-scandal - lost in the wash of major actual scandals - a few years ago when he was going to sell the Marlins to Jared Kushner in return for being made the ambassador to France, a nifty worldbuilding detail of "we live in a simulation of the worst possible timeline" convergence

I happened to pick that example because infamous hedge funder/art collector Steven Cohen just became an owner of the Mets (granted, it's still questionable if they are considered a major league team...)

also hilarious, I literally just saw this story:

FACEBOOK PICKS NEW CMO ALEX SCHULTZ FROM INSIDE ITS RANKS
Social network fills its top marketing job during one of its more turbulent periods

20201005_Alex-Schultz_hero.jpg