I'm Increasingly Resistant to New Things

luka

but i also like coming across these avatars of social media. it makes me think of the stuff you lot were talking about. people shaped by the algorithim.

luka

its easy to imagine it that way. with these avatars of social media. that the inert clay has been squeezed and shaped and plucked and pinched into these forms by the medium itself

constant escape

winter withered, warm
its easy to imagine it that way. with these avatars of social media. that the inert clay has been squeezed and shaped and plucked and pinched into these forms by the medium itself
A bit worrisome to think that this is perhaps what the ultimate cosmopolitan youth would be.

luka

when you find a really good one can post it. like, look at this guy hes perfect! anyone could stumble on a perfect specimen

luka

its funny though isnt it like people have brains. i used to love social media cos it was so good as a mischief platform. you can do all sorts of trouble making on these sites. cant be too reductive about it like they just program us to be their robots but maybe they do

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Well we can always piece together convincing reasoning, otherwise people wouldn't do it, yet alone billions of people. I think what is frightening about it is that it completely brackets the whole spectrum of pathos and operates beyond it. So you can be drawn to it for a number of reasons, making any of many lines of convincing reasoning. Its like we are learning to willfully steer the certain physiological or neurochemical mechanisms that have largely remained independent of our will.

luka

theres a real link to stuff like focus groups too. advance screenings of films which lead to reshooting. change the ending. audiences dont like it.

luka

"Earlier, you see, the Symbolists had discovered that the work of art is a programmed teaching machine. It’s a mechanism for shaping sensibility. Well, Lewis simply extended this private art activity into the corporate activity of the whole society in making environments that basically were artifacts or works of art and that acted as teaching machines upon the whole population."