The Teaching Machine.

luka

So we may be aimed at different things, and have different ways of articulating/expressing/communicating those things, but the fabrics in which those things are embedded I think are similar if not coextensive, identical.

This is why we need a Rosetta Stone

I can’t imagine this being anywhere near as difficult if you two met in the flesh. Writing can be an obstacle sometimes, gets in the way. If we all were sitting on the grass together in a park drinking lagers in Greenwich say

constant escape

winter withered, warm
In order to speak the same language? Hypothetically, if that was possible, it would deprive us of the ability to illuminate things from multiple angles. It would collapse us into a single angle.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
We each have an angle, and so the hive is able to illuminate something from a variety of angles, and the winning angles gain influence.

The schizo project is to fragment an individual's angle into yet another collection angles, thus making the hive more robust by another order of magnitude.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Hence all the roundabout and circuitous pussyfooting and word-salad tossing. Contrivances work. All the indirectness can work. That is the beauty of techne. It can even manage to sneak around itself.

edit: that is, it can work. At damn near anything it aims to do.

The thing is I’m not able to interrupt you properly here, to laugh in your face or to look confused or sheepish when I don’t understand. In the flesh I would force you to slow to my idiot pace

constant escape

winter withered, warm
True, and that is one reason I try not to let myself really revise my posts. Much of it is one big hydraulic push out into the keyboard, getting as much of it out in one breath. Also when I revise I try to keep the original text intact, just with a strikethrough. I think the drawbacks of virtually mediated interfacing can be mitigated to an extent.

Simon silverdollarcircle

This stuff has infiltrated work hugely recently. Like on Microsoft Teams there's a constant pinging of "reactions" from your colleagues. The machine is telling you relentlessly whether your colleagues "like" you. Whether they agree, whether they find you funny.

I mean we cannot deal with that emotionally or spiritually really can we ? We know it's fucked. We're not set up to be able to deal with this constant invasion of others thoughts and judgement, condensed down to half a dozen or so basic "reactions".

It also creates a very fast race to the bottom to bantz, in my experience. Everyone is at that, chasing the micro high of a like reaction. The easiest and quickest way is always bantz

luka

I was saying the other day I think we've suffered from that recently so I've made a decision to raise the tone. I'm not giving anyone any positive reinforcement for bantz from now on.

True, and that is one reason I try not to let myself really revise my posts. Much of it is one big hydraulic push out into the keyboard, getting as much of it out in one breath. Also when I revise I try to keep the original text intact, just with a strikethrough. I think the drawbacks of virtually mediated interfacing can be mitigated to an extent.

this is useful. It’s important to know your intentions and techniques, your method. So youre basically a theory improv bot trying out material to see what lands

luka

It's an example of where Stan's faith in optimisation seems to fall down. Stuff like 'hate clicks' is another. Driving divisive inflammatory rhetoric even in the likes of the guardian etc

Simon silverdollarcircle

I was saying the other day I think we've suffered from that recently so I've made a decision to raise the tone. I'm not giving anyone any positive reinforcement for bantz from now on.
Yes that's the thing isn't it. Very addictive and rushy while you're doing it. But then you look back and it's just hours of running around in circles giggling.

It's like a night on the gak really. That sense of urgency and energy and heat, but nothing at the end of it.

luka

It is rushy. That's the thing. It's like drinking loads of fizzy pop. Big giddy sugar rush.