luka

this is exactly why postmodernism is an existential threat. because we can't find any valid reason to impose our will and our values on the world at large.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
you can either embrace relativism in which case there is no argument against slavery, FGM, etc or you find a valid basis for universalism. its that simple.
Maybe I'm needlessly hung up on this, but I think the primary way to prevent those things is to redirect the energies that would otherwise express themselves as such phenomena.

And ultimately if we can't sate the paedos and mutilators, at least we will have sated everyone else. So its largely in the interest of unification despite ideological difference, save for some intense few. Aim for 100% to achieve maximum potential, no?

luka

Maybe I'm needlessly hung up on this, but I think the primary way to prevent those things is to redirect the energies that would otherwise express themselves as such phenomena.

And ultimately if we can't sate the paedos and mutilators, at least we will have sated everyone else. So its largely in the interest of unification despite ideological difference, save for some intense few. Aim for 100% to achieve maximum potential, no?

you mean achieve a general and not a universal buy-in?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah I'd be more interested in achieving a fabric that enables different ideologies to maximize their dialectical potential.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
obv it's not hard to argue that the failure - rather than one of will - has been trying too hard to "impose our values on the world at large"

that's essentially been the metadebate in U.S. foreign policy since Vietnam

constant escape

winter withered, warm
it's a very depressing thought to realize that civilized human history is an endless succession of conquerors imposing their values
Yeah I think some of these problems can only be solved from higher realms, and so it would be a matter of cognizing some sufficient analog/model of a higher order, and then learning from it, I suppose.

Otherwise, we're stuck down here with periodic tsunamis of shit.

luka

obv it's not hard to argue that the failure - rather than one of will - has been trying too hard to "impose our values on the world at large"

as i say this carries over into live political questions primarily danny l's interventionism

constant escape

winter withered, warm

I would say that the will is usually if not always insufficient, but also that imposing your values will only roundaboutly sow the seeds for the opposite. So perhaps the approach taken is one that cannot be opposed, one that subsumes all possible positions. What that'll look like, I don't know - but I'm not convinced its impossible.

luka

but we do very much want to abolish slavery, for instance, we do not want to give up these universals. so we are in a very real quandry we need to think our way out of

padraig (u.s.)

some of these problems can only be solved from higher realms
I admire your doggedness in returning everything to some kind of God of emergent properties

and I mean, good luck with it, that hypertechnocratic approach - if only you know enough, or unlock the right understanding, you can solve it all

where for me history demonstrates that there are always unknown unknowns

constant escape

winter withered, warm
but we do very much want to abolish slavery, for instance, we do not want to give up these universals. so we are in a very real quandry we need to think our way out of
That is the central knot, as far as I can tell. I think the only way to solidify certain values, namely egalitarian ones, is a sort of faith that the final product will involve their reconciliation with opposing energies, rather than their destruction by opposing energies.

Like the optimal ideological permutation does involve position-taking, but a certain balance of values that resembles a sort of inter-ideological potluck.

padraig (u.s.)

interventionism
it's very tough

the reality to me is, there will never be a universal answer, you'll always have to use your best judgment and you'll never be sure you made the right decision. that's part of what it is to be human.

padraig (u.s.)

the existence of doubt and existential anxiety are in themselves a refutation of universalism

this is what Camus, de Beauvoir, etc were trying to reconcile

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Thats why I opt for an eternal progress, perpetually submitting to, or drawn toward, both the known unknown and the unknown unknown,