Electronic Body Music

IdleRich

IdleRich
Phone ran out of charge momentarily, sorry... what I was (rather optimistically with two percent battery was something like...

I understand that the flash set-up they have in Desterro (incongruously flash in fact when you consider that Desterro is a moldy old cellar pretending to be a bar/ club in which nothing works) records everything automatically - though I don't know how to obtain a copy. I'm sure I will manage to get hold of one. I'm interested to hear how bad tgay set sounds technically - I can't believe (m)any of the "mixes" were in time. Depending on how bad it sounds I will decide whether or not to pass it on to those of you whothat want it.

Though - I've just realised none of that explains that weird half-sentence about 11.

william_kent

Phone ran out of charge momentarily, sorry... what I was (rather optimistically with two percent battery was something like...

I understand that the flash set-up they have in Desterro (incongruously flash in fact when you consider that Desterro is a moldy old cellar pretending to be a bar/ club in which nothing works) records everything automatically - though I don't know how to obtain a copy. I'm sure I will manage to get hold of one. I'm interested to hear how bad tgay set sounds technically - I can't believe (m)any of the "mixes" were in time. Depending on how bad it sounds I will decide whether or not to pass it on to those of you whothat want it.

Though - I've just realised none of that explains that weird half-sentence about 11.

I'm so deep into the excellent, yet incredibly expensive, japanese straw rum that I am "sipping" ( i.e., just swallowing ) that "11' almost makes sense: it's an occult number, the number of "Magick" according to Aliester Crowley, and since I live on the 11th floor of a tower block, obviously I believe in the magickal properties of that number... if you times it by 2 then that is 22 which is 23 minus one! Occult!

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
In general I am quite interested in what you can get away with in terms of mixing errors in a club vs in an actual recorded mix.

In the latter Im sure there are loads of geeks listening intently to mixes through stupidly expensive headphones in the hope of finding evidence of some superstar DJ placing a beat one thousandth of a second out of time the utter fucking idiot.

Obviously you're not go nna be held to such exacting standards while doing it live and drunk.

I think some people just don't know what wrong sounds like - which is odd to me cos I've always thought that you hardly need to have learnt beat matching to know that a big clash with two beats playing at the same time and banging into each other is wrong. Though, that said, on NYD one of the DJs we saw did a chopped and screwed set and he was getting increasingly annoyed with the decks, blaming them loudly every time he made an error - but to me the"errors"were indistinguishable from the rest of the set... which I put down to my ignorance of the genre.

There are a load of people who do notice but don't care, or at least don't care enough to mention it, or not so loudly that the DJ hears and feels judged. The other day we saw a DJ at Desterro who kept fucking up. I reckon he was drunk cos he started off OK, but at a certain point he made a cock-up, and after that he embraced this new way of doing things and badly fucked almost every mix after that point - and noone cared, well maybe my friend who is a bit of a house purist rolled his eyes but that was all. I thought it was pretty funny the way he kept at it - I reckon most people would thnk "I'm not on this today, I'll try and minimise errors by doing the simplest transitions possible, short mixes or cuts or whatever" - whereas this bloke kept trying these really long mixes and would get them totally wrong and then leave both records playing for aaaages completely out of time to create these really spectacular ongoing pile-ups.

But even with all that going on I do think there is something about DJ-ing in clubs or bars that acts to make mistakes somehow harder to spot... or something. I dunno what that could be or how it could work though so maybe I'm talking bollocks. Would like to listen back to today's mix while it's still fresh in my (admittedly long past its sell-bydate) mind.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm so deep into the excellent, yet incredibly expensive, japanese straw rum that I am "sipping" ( i.e., just swallowing ) that "11' almost makes sense: it's an occult number, the number of "Magick" according to Aliester Crowley, and since I live on the 11th floor of a tower block, obviously I believe in the magickal properties of that number... if you times it by 2 then that is 22 which is 23 minus one! Occult!
Truly uncanny! That's some Timewave Zero shit right there, man! 🤯🤯🤯

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought I could maybe post up some of the EBM type tunes I played yesterday. I went through the thread to check I haven't posted them already. This Motor one is two sides of pretty heavy EBM-techno, this side particularly so

But last night I went for the other side which is slightly less brutal

IdleRich

IdleRich
Also played this which as far as I'm concerned is pretty much a perfect example of this music with the dry spiky sound and the pulsing stop start beat. Hardly surprising cos it's by Absolute Body Control - their version is only about a minute long so Dunkeltier has looped it and maybe added some of his own bits in (I've never say down and compared it to the original to be honest so I couldn't say for sure) to stretch it out to six minutes

IdleRich

IdleRich
I normally play slower stuff at the start and that often means I will play stuff that is either new beat or new beat influenced and as the genres are related in my mind that seems fair. It's coming back to me that I played this last night

Some EBM stuff has acid noises in it, I feel like there is a kind of acid-ebm style and I did play some stuff that fitted that description. I also played this though which I think was pretty tenuous but I like it so...

Then again, if that was tenuous then I have to admit that this has nothing whatsoever to do with EBM but the crowd went nuts, it was one of the biggest reactions of the night... I played a lot of acid now I come to think of it, it's a lot of fun to play.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've often thought there's a sort of alternative 'nuum that takes in Italo, EBM, new beat, (at least some) acid house, and probably also some of that disco-y proto-house stuff that padraig likes so much. Could be worth a thread in its own right, I dunno. Or maybe we've already covered a lot of that sort of stuff in this thread.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I messaged the guy about getting the recording... I was struggling a little (lot) with the headphones, lack of sleep, pitch blackness, dodgy mixer, melting heat and so on, but I'm interested to know if that a) added an aesthetically pleasing rawness or b) made it sound as though a monkey had escaped from Lisbon Zoo and then broken into the DJ booth at Desterro where he (cos all DJs are he) started randomly jabbing buttons and playing Ride in My Truck, Bitch You Gonna Fuck by Slugo.

Anyway, the good news is that this is now gonna be a monthly night with the next one on 11th Feb, the bad news is we are stuck with the stupid name he gave it when he had to come up with something on the spur of the moment.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well he sent the recording, I was listening thinking, this ain't me so it must be him, though I don't recall him playing quite so much electro... turned out it was the wrong date, seems there is an arcane and byzantine filing system that no-one truly understands.

If/when he does send mine what you gonna hear is a LOT of corrections - pushing or pulling the disc once it's playing out loud and I could hear it better than in the cans...

IdleRich

IdleRich
@Mr. Tea the guy from Desterro sent the file over and I'm listening back now - to my surprise the mixing so far, while unsophisticated, is not as bad as I had expected. Given the circumstances anyway. Basically I've avoided doing the below at least...

this bloke kept trying these really long mixes and would get them totally wrong and then leave both records playing for aaaages completely out of time to create these really spectacular ongoing pile-ups.

I will have Liza's laptop in a few days and I will cut out my part, maybe edit out the very worst errors, and then I can put it on SoundCloud

IdleRich

IdleRich
In fact it's rawer than sashimi... the mixes that don't clang last about one second and don't really count as mixes, also the cross-fader was unbelievably sensitive and if you ever used it to bring a tune in, or even touched it, then the new tune came in incredibly loud. Still it does get across a sense of frazzled craziness that is quite fun. I will put it online but please don't laugh at me.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Don't suppose you played that absolute banger by Gatekeeper? It was called 'Giza' or something like that, IIRC.