Gems from Grime's 'mixtape' years

john eden

male pale and stale
(Roughly 2005 to 2010ish?)

This is when I belatedly got into grime, when it was definitely past its peak but still there was always 2 or 3 gems on most mixtapes in amongst swathes of filler. So let's remember what they were.

Same here. Most of the tunes on this were me and Paul geeking out belatedly on Grime:

Will try and post some more individual tunes too.

Benny Bunter

This is one tape that you can't really pull a single track out of. It's still a weird and wonderful thing.

The follow up mixtape with dj q and todd edwards himself on board was brilliant too

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
That reminds me - I was so into/obsessed with this track/BBK at that time.

I infamously asserted that JME and Skepta were by far the best grime MCs on dubstepforum and got told to suck my mum by all and sundry.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The greatest moment of my glastonbury festivals and possibly life:

This was probably 2007. I'd been dragged to see Lily Allen on some stage or other and was being dragged to see Arcade Fire on the main stage. I did a big bump of ketamine to numb the pain. It was raining lightly and muddy as fuck. Suddenly from a tiny stage over the other side of the field I faintly heard what sounded like Skepta and JME. They weren't on the line-up, and at the time (as I said) I was obsessed with them. We'd been joking the day before about 'imagine if Boy better know did a surprise set lolol'.

The penny dropped - it WAS them! I ran across the muddy field in wellies on ketamine and probably covered the distance faster than usain bolt could have on his best day. Was absolutely magical because of the circumstances.

I'd imagine these days Skepta would play on one of the main stages to a crowd of tens of thousands. Back then it was literally about 20 people (although as i said they weren't billed).

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

Do you really think I give two shits if you're greazy? I don't think so
You man ain't seen greazy yet
When my mandem pop it off
Your marrow will fly
Into the sky like easyjet