sus

Reading through the Biden admin's executive order on crypto, and it's good so far. Really impressed at how the various conflicting motivations are balanced, at least on paper. Also, its starting to look like a US CBDC is on the horizon:
CBDC abuse cases are looking really, really scary

sus

I don't think it flies in the US though TBH

Cash concept too important

Canada maybe, EU maybe

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I think Switzerland (could be some neighboring country) is piloting a CBDC that is just issued atop Ethereum. In principle it may not need to be different, regulation wise, from a privately issued stablecoin. If we're talking asset-backed stablecoins, it seems the idea so far is to regulate the issuers as "insured depository institutions" and just enforce certain requirements regarding the reserves, to protect this notion of one-to-one exchangeability between dollars and stablecoins.

That's all to say, a CBDC needn't necessarily involve some panopticon, public or private. I did a moderately through report for stablecoins for Humanity Forward, but it didn't touch on CBDCs per se.

Not sure about Switzerland though, so don't quote me haha.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The idea of a public or private panopticon is enough to sink the notion of a CBDC in the US, you're right. Even if its technically inaccurate.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
586911.jpg