catalog

Jafa talks about how black people who came over as slaves had nothing but their bodies. They had to carry their history in their body, so he says the focus on the black body as the site of identity is that much stronger for black people.

Projective verse.

catalog

Yeah that's good as well, same sort of vibe as love is the message. But love is the message is amazing, spine tingingly good. I made a thread on it somewhere.

catalog

The use of Ultralight Beam is one thing but he also has Earl sweatshirt, biggie, James brown, all in 7 mins

sus

Life is about choices, you can move up in the world and spend time with well educated, ambitious go getters trading zings about Whole Foods salad bar or stay in the back of the class with the lads

I want it both ways, so does beiser going off his posts here. I think this is the optimism of youth—not having to choose

sus

Steve Moore: "The lack of recognition for that monumental achievement [The Recognitions] surprised me, but was a life-changing blow to Gaddis. The failure to achieve something that was perhaps not worth doing in the first place became a signature theme in his subsequent novels"

my friend B: "like 300 pages of the recognitions is dedicated to excoriating normies for having shit taste, i don't get why gaddis was surprised that people didn't get it."

version

linebaugh

Theres a joke in there where the punchline is spaced out 900 pages between the set up. Whole book is full of cutesy obscurantist stuff like that. I think that more than anything can be attributed to its initial failure. It reads as an insecure 20 something looking to stake his claim amongst the big boys and the gambit collapses in on itself