luka

But surely he also took real world steps to make that happen? Leading to at least some ambiguity around what caused those life changes?

sus

One of the chaos magic things was results. After all the psychologising of magic in WE Butler books and the like, they were like we did magic - THIS HAPPENED. If you make Pepe memes what does it do? Dubious claims about getting Trump elected aside.

I don't know how you could possibly distinguish between "real" things magic accomplishes and Trump getting elected. All you have is ritual and result. Definitionally, establishing causality is a matter of faith. You just seem to lack it with 4chan... boomer prejudice.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don't know how you could possibly distinguish between "real" things magic accomplishes and Trump getting elected. All you have is ritual and result. Definitionally, establishing causality is a matter of faith. You just seem to lack it with 4chan... boomer prejudice.
Jesus Christ I'm not that fucking old. I am prejudiced though, and I'll happily own it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I'd ask what else did those people do then? Using a similar methodology? That helped them out, changed their lives, got into their dreams?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Yeah a lot of it seems like unbroken ground, trial and error, using old tricks in new situations, developing a new codex, whatever.

Not advocating that an online magical praxis ought to supplant the offline praxis, just pointing out where the currents seem to be leading. Again, I can't claim familiarity with either. That said, I'm far from convinced that online praxis lacks substance, just perhaps that that substance hasn't been fully defined yet. But hey, maybe it has.

Also, 23 now.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
You’re then required to intuit and test the validity of signals, not just their bandwidth. What do you think amateur radio freaks were doing 30/40 years ago? Talking bollocks most of the time.

You’re 23 now too, a prime numbered age to experiment in real life and test what the internet lacks, experientially. Travel, when it slowly emerges out of Covid, good sex, bad sex, getting shitcanned in relationships, any number of working options that arise out of Covid, philanthropy etc. Apply your loves as appropriate, just watch the neoliberal fixation.

It’s only because of the internet that I know about a bunch of no talents fools in Brooklyn (no offence Brooklyn) and naked people self-flagellating themselves while chanting “I‘m a white cunt” for a ride, so I get the contradiction.

martin

----
I thought the whole deal with chaos magic was that you could get results by invoking the Teletubbies as avatars of Dionysius, or go into sacred trance states while playing Space Invaders? No rules, make it up as you go along, see what sticks?

luka

I drank two bottles of brandy smoked a bag of weed and fell asleep in a bird hide. Or maybe I did magic mushrooms on Parliament hill and saw green lazers strafing the sky. Can't remember which year was which.