Woebot

By dopamine precursors, you mean molecules that are just a reaction or two away from becoming dopamine? What role would that play in mental illnesses? Just excessiveness?

the precursors in this instance are the ingredients the body needs to make its stuff. to make dopamine. so if you introduce too much dopamine precursors into the body - you get too much dopamine. and with dopamine you have a sweet spot. too much dopamine and you have mental illness.

Woebot

Have you ever met an interesting scientist? No. You haven't. They're all brain dead it's like talking to a bar of soap.

no. not an adult one, no. it's generally an extremely facile way of thinking. just measuring stuff. if they can't measure it apparently it doesn't exist. lol.

Woebot

my pet hate is people trying to justify spiritual or religious beliefs with science. like scientologists, or christian scientists or quantum spiritualists.

or anyone who does controlled trials on psychedelics or meditation.

all total rubbish.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Have you ever met an interesting scientist? No. You haven't. They're all brain dead it's like talking to a bar of soap.
Well science needs its dry loyalists in order to be as robust as it is. Lends itself well to the intensity of scrutiny. Becoming-scrutinous. It works on a second-order level, whereas most scientists are probably forever bound to some first order level of empiricism, which is, admittedly, quite boring.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
That is, the collective machine attains the optimal if its constituent machines are each excessive in certain ways, ways that are strategic from the second order perspective but more or less arbitrary and subjective from the first order perspective.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Plus, the becoming-scrutinous can have a culture built around it, a culture wherein accusations of pseudoscience are lethal blows.

luka

I just resent the way those bad breath men marred my childhood wearing Rohan technical trousers and talking about Bunsen burners

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But I also think acid and mushrooms are brilliant and should be done at least once a year every year till death

acid yes, mushrooms no, it's why you like witchy wizardy shit too much. snap out of it, the gnosis is in space.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
One of the ways that the culture of scrutiny bolsters itself is because so many of its constituent scientists have invested heavily into it, seeking security, stability, etc. If this or that law of thermodynamics is overturned, oh my god I'll be sent into a panic, etc. Just another instance of conflating map with territory, just that science is the apogee of mapmaking, so convincing as to appear to many as pure territory.

luka

They correct one another. I've actually only done mushrooms about I dunno, ten, twenty times? Acid more like 200 times. I would like to do more mushrooms

Woebot

Well science needs its dry loyalists in order to be as robust as it is. Lends itself well to the intensity of scrutiny. Becoming-scrutinous. It works on a second-order level, whereas most scientists are probably forever bound to some first order level of empiricism, which is, admittedly, quite boring.

@constant escape and yes there's plenty to be grateful from science f'sure.