sus

Pop ICON.

Let's talk about her politics of liberty, libido, and desire: "It's our party, we can do what we want / It's our party, we can say what we want / This is our house / This is our rules"

Was "Adore You" the best pop song of 2013?

Last edited:

sus

More importantly—is she part of a long-running CIA plot, a descendant of MK Ultra?

sus

That’s a lot of unambiguously violent and bizarre imagery for a pop song about a night out dancing at a club! Why would the filmmakers craft such a video for a Miley Cyrus song?

Believe it or not, to answer that question, you sort of have to go to some spooky places, and a long way back in US history. I figure Birmingham, Alabama, 1916 is a good place to start

sus

IT's a 5 part series enjoy

sus

Released to near universal critical acclaim, the record features back-up vocals by Stevie Nicks and Joan Jett

version

It's interesting she's ended up in that Suzi Quatro - Chrissy Hynde - Joan Jett lane. Wouldn't have predicted that at all, but maybe I just wasn't listening closely enough.

boxedjoy

Miley has one of my favourite voices. Obviously she was an actress before she was a singer, and she brings that idea of performance to her style of singing - she's really good at knowing where to land the stresses, where to push her voice and where to relax it, how to sell the idea of a song and what it's about.

I love that when she did her inevitable "I'm a sexy adult now" transformation she used the focus on her image and sexuality to distract from the fact that so much of her music was relentlessly and unashamedly pro-drugs, and nobody really noticed because everyne was too busy being scandalised by her appearing naked in a music video.

I'm not sure she's bringing rock back or in that heritage version is referring to - I think she's a cultural magpie and she borrows from wherever if it might be interesting. She's done duets with Britney and Nelly, but also her dad and Dolly Parton too, and she recorded an album with the Flaming Lips. I don't think she has a clear sonic identity, which on one hand makes her thrillingly unpredictable to follow but on the other means there's no sense of who she is consistently and I think that the genre-hopping is why she isn't really elevated like some of her peers.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Thought i was profoundly uninterested in this thread but that adore you song is actually good so I'll forgive the constant cringey tongue poking thing

• Love

luka

More importantly—is she part of a long-running CIA plot, a descendant of MK Ultra?

I'm going to avoid clicking on a site called 'hipster racist' but this has been common knowledge for many years. All those child entertainer people are basically programmed slaves.

boxedjoy

That's the title track from an album she did a few years ago. It features Britney and it's an absolute mes, I love it

• Haha